Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
defenestrator
Forum Member

Default Fix leaky bass stock for cheap?

I recently got an old-ish (mid 90's?) set of Shepherd pipes for very cheap. They're great, except for a pinhole leak through the bass stock.

It's difficult to see exactly what the issue is, but it looks like the wood there has a defect in it. It doesn't look like a crack. It's about 1/3 of the way down from the top and appears to be larger on the inside of the bore.

This is intended to be a "beater" set of pipes, and I'd rather not spend a lot of money on fixing them up (how much does it cost to get a crack whipped out anyway?)

Any ideas on how to patch this hole reasonably effectively and inexpensively? For now, a bit of electrical tape wrapped around the stock is sufficient.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Fix leaky bass stock for cheap?

Depending on how big the hole is, I would suggest stoppering one end of the stock, holding the other end up to your vacuum cleaner and then sucking either crazy glue or epoxy into the hole. If the hole is more crack like, I would use crazy glue. If it is more of a round hole, I would use epoxy.

Alternately, based on your description of the shape of the hole, you could possibly add the epoxy from inside the bore and then use compressed air to blow it into the hole.

If it is really a beater set of pipes, it might be worth drilling the hole a little bigger so you can get the epoxy in more easily.

I would also suggest waiting to see if someone else has a better suggestion. In the meantime, if the tape works, you might just invest in some better quality high temp electrical tape and use that.

Good luck,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #3
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Before you make any modifications, document with pics what you are observing. Then contact Shepherd about the defect you have found.

They do have quite reasonable after sales support.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Years ago in my old band, one piper played his old set for years with electrical tape around both badly cracked tenor tops.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Flexible rubber tape.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrator View Post

Any ideas on how to patch this hole reasonably effectively and inexpensively? For now, a bit of electrical tape wrapped around the stock is sufficient.
I had an old set with a presentation shield sloppily nailed onto the bass stock...yeah..stupid small nails. Refinishing the pipes I removed the shield and used a pin vice with a small twist dril to dress up the sloppy nail holes..then re mounted the shield with 3 siliconed in place small uniform shaft button head tacks from a trophy making shop. Perfectly air tight. You might just make the hole ‘neat’ with parallel sides and do similar to plug the hole permanently..get a few plaque tacks at a trophy store.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote