Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Roger Huth

Default Making the Cut

Every August, an invisible vortex spins over Glasgow Green and sucks within it the best competing band, and solo, drummers, drum majors and highland pipers in the World

Their goal is to prove themselves to be the best of the best

To become World Champions

It is quite possible that you know this already

Friday is the first day, and it is for those bands in Grade 1
.................................................. ..................................

After chanter and pad practise, our Scots Guards Association South East of England Pipe Major, Steve Duffy, released us until the afternoon, in order to visit The Green

We crossed the hurrying waters of the Clyde and joined the longer queue for those with tickets and, once inside the grounds, scattered to our different destinations

Feeling peckish, I headed for provender, but could not face a similar massive burger at such an early hour, that a piper friend of mine, John MacDonald, was enjoying immensely

I headed off to the two fields of glory where Grade 1 Bands were already denoting why they are in this elite group, despite unkind cool, drizzly, changing weather

At the behest of the arena 2 steward, the next band on headed in column of route, down hill towards the line playing a final warm up tune; too late now for any more adjustments to drones or tape

At the line the front rank faced two white circles painted on to the wet grass to which they would attack with a big March, Strathspey and Reel, while around the outer ring, judges would make their ruthless assessments

I headed off to arena 1 where a more cosy amphitheatre entertained those seated in the surrounding high white seats

A chain fence kept us riff raff at bay as some of us walked beside the next band on, relishing the final tones and tunes before their own big M/S&R combat

The best of each of these two arenas would vie again on Saturday

Lunchtime saw me climbing the rows of section C where Pete Murray was sitting with Catriona Hill, who happens to be the first lady I ever heard play pipes, and with professional fingers like her then husband, Gordon Speirs

I was very pleased to have seen Pipe Major Brian Donaldson competing today with one of the bands, and also another former Scots Guards Piper, Pete Harvey playing in PSNI who sounded and played brilliantly I thought

Saturday was our turn to face the white line in the front rank with SGA South East England Pipes and Drums

Like the Grade 1 Pipe Bands on Friday, our goal was to make the cut in our 3b Grade against nine other bands; some of whom are astonishingly good

The discipline for this was a big M/S&R

While standing on the white line facing the double circles we awaited the quick march from our Pipe Major

Fear 1 - strike drones in confidently without double tones

Fear 2 - sound E together and at same pitch as everyone else

Fear 3 - avoid note errors

Fear 4 - maintain tone

Fear 5 - cut off

We all managed most of that and were pleased to see our band's title on the Grade 3b Finals list at 1415 hours

For the first time in twenty odd years our band joined the rest of the Grade 3b Medley Finalists in Arena 2 where I think we came 12th out of twenty which added to our joy of making the cut

On the cold and windy hill we witnessed the March Pasts and Prize Giving which brought rapture to winners and elation to us all when Inverarary finally achieved their hard fought for goal and a pat on the back of Pipe Major Stuart Liddell from FMM Pipe Major Richard Parkes
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Making the Cut

Roger,

As always... many thanks!!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I find I always play more, better ( I think) and spend greater careful time on the practice chanter after watching the World's live stream. For at least several weeks if not months.

It's always as invigorating as humbling as inspirational.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for being Our Man At The Green and making us feel as if we were there!

As it was, at 2am California time I was poised in front of my lap-top, with café mocha in hand, ready for the finals to commence.

The house was dark and quiet, wife and kids snoozing, raccoons and cats and possums prowling outside.

Hour after hour of fantastic music! Glorious-sounding pipes! Clever arrangements and lovely kit and of course Bob Worrall's analysis and "shout outs" to bands the world over. He makes us aware that we're part of a community. Oh, and he hears a myriad of subtle things that I can't. I play the game of trying to predict what his comments will be, and the Bob Worrall Drinking Game.

I love pipe-spotting. It's less interesting now that overseas pipers usually can't bring their lovely vintage sets; it's a sea of plastic-mounted newer sets so many of which look more or less the same.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I play the game of trying to predict what his comments will be, and the Bob Worrall Drinking Game.
More details needed sir?! ��

I had the live feed on too. 2012 was the last time I was there, seems so long ago now. Was glad to see my old band VoA make the G1 final! ��

Whilst I enjoyed it, I could feel the stress of the players on the line. I was glad (and strangely sad) that it wasn't me
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

I had the live feed on too. 2012 was the last time I was there, seems so long ago now. Was glad to see my old band VoA make the G1 final! ��

Whilst I enjoyed it, I could feel the stress of the players on the line. I was glad (and strangely sad) that it wasn't me
...stress at the line??....remember the poor chap last year who had the black plastic garbage bag blow along and catch onto his ankles for about half the medley set. Wonder if the shrink Doctors have released him yet.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...stress at the line??....remember the poor chap last year who had the black plastic garbage bag blow along and catch onto his ankles for about half the medley set. Wonder if the shrink Doctors have released him yet.
Defo a few sessions on the chair there

I had the elastic of my boxers go on the March Into the circle at the Europeans many moons ago. Was walking like I'd soiled myself
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Defo a few sessions on the chair there

I had the elastic of my boxers go on the March Into the circle at the Europeans many moons ago. Was walking like I'd soiled myself
That's a classic rationale to go Regimental....
Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

For sure they left things off like "squaring off bars 7 and 8" and "that's something the judges might take into consideration".

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-14-2017 at 04:33 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:26 AM   #10
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
That's a classic rationale to go Regimental....
Never looked back