Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Default Blogs of your experiences?

Does anyone keep track of their competing experience? I love reading this type of stuff and would love to read more. Iíve read Andrew Lenzís probaly 7-8 times.
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Default Re: Blogs of your experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasses4masses View Post
Does anyone keep track of their competing experience? I love reading this type of stuff and would love to read more. Iíve read Andrew Lenzís probaly 7-8 times.
I'm just entering competition. I started learning in 2001, started taking lessons in 2003, haven't played for a few years, and am coming back into it. My blog isn't a major production and isn't nearly as useful as Andrew's site, but it's at mainebagpipes.weebly.com. Hopefully it'll get more interesting as I continue rebuilding my chops and moving forward.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

I once took a video of myself playing every day for an entire year (including competition days) and posted those to YouTube. Was fun and you could definitely see progress over the year, but the amount of editing/uploading/technology troubleshooting cut into my practice time significantly. I took everything down during a recent job search, might make them public again at some point.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

I keep one, in a folder along with my crit sheets.....in my practice room.

It's not online, it's just for me to look back on and track my progress and I haven't done it for every competition because I'm lazy like that.

While I wouldn't publish such a blog myself I do love reading others competition experiences.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

I like to write, and I love piping, so I've thought on doing this occasionally, but realistically, I just don't have the time. Maybe one day.

If this sort of thing interests you, and if you haven't already ... the most recent issue of the EUSPBA's The Voice is focused on competition. Lots of tips, and there're two articles which talk about experiences going through the competition process, one of which was penned by myself about my getting going with competing for (sort-of) the first time (mine starts on page 15). The other is a very wonderfully written piece by Andrew Hagen, who jumped back into the ring after 25 years, at grade one. Very cool.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001IPXLQ...X9cyIkqKmHnQ==

There seems to have been a fair amount if interest in the article, so I'm once again thinking about maybe getting something of a blog going for posterity, kind of a continual ... moving inward from being an outsider .. sorta thing. I dunno, we'll see.

Along these lines, if you haven't read Bill Livingstone's new memoirs, you're severely missing out. Thrilling reading, and sounds like it'd really be right up your alley. Reading this also prompted me to pick up a copy of John Wilson's memoirs "A Professional Piper in Peace and War," and that's proven to be a wonderful read as well. I can highly recommend both. John Wilson's book seems to be getting much more difficult to come by, so if you see a copy somewhere for a reasonable price (say, less than $30-$40), then I say "grab it!" .. here's a link to Bill Livingstone's; I can't find any reasonable copies of John Wilson's at present:

https://www.williamlivingstone.com/b...ales-to-follow

Also worth mentioning is Patrick McLaurin's website. Packed with good info, tunes, and personal experiences with playing.

https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/

And get a gander at David Locky's site while you're at it. Also lots of good info, and interesting experiences with the instrument .. he focuses more on the instrument itself, but interesting and insightful reading all the same:

http://www.lockyphoto.com/bagpipeecology/

Anyways, if case any of the above floats your boat, there you go. If you find other cool musings out there, please post here so others might know of it!

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
I'm just entering competition. I started learning in 2001, started taking lessons in 2003, haven't played for a few years, and am coming back into it. My blog isn't a major production and isn't nearly as useful as Andrew's site, but it's at mainebagpipes.weebly.com. Hopefully it'll get more interesting as I continue rebuilding my chops and moving forward.
This is great! Thanks for posting! Look forward to meeting you out there!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the links. I eat this stuff up at night when Iím laying in bed.

Iíve been keeping track of my competition experiences in blog form...mainly for my dad to read through. Heís a huge part of why I started piping, so I like to write out my experiences so I can share them with him. My blog started with me posting weekly on what I was learning. But now I just update it with some experiences and things I learned from competitions, performances, or gigs.

https://molasses4massesbagpiping.wordpress.com/
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasses4masses View Post
Thanks for all the links. I eat this stuff up at night when Iím laying in bed.

Iíve been keeping track of my competition experiences in blog form...mainly for my dad to read through. Heís a huge part of why I started piping, so I like to write out my experiences so I can share them with him. My blog started with me posting weekly on what I was learning. But now I just update it with some experiences and things I learned from competitions, performances, or gigs.

https://molasses4massesbagpiping.wordpress.com/
=) that's a good motivating reason to do it. My dad should be so lucky. He's been hammering me with questions all the time since I got going again, wanting updates. Most that he usually gets from me is "I'm doing ok."

Which is the truth, and I hold back on some details, because I know he gets over-excited about his "baby boy" ... and starts going all braggy, which is charming on the one hand, and infuriating on the other.

I look forward to reading!

Cheers,
~Nate