Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Recommended number of competitions per season

Hi folks,

I've had a few burning questions on my mind recently. I've been holding off asking, but now I'm thinking I'd like to get them out there and see what people think.

I'm going to be starting up competing again after a long lapse, and I'm trying to get an idea of what number of events I should plan on attending. Overall, I could easily attend about 4 or 5 events. Optionally, I could probably swing 10 to 12.

Like anyone, I'd like to move up as soon as possible ... but to be specific, I want to:
  1. Deserve higher placement
  2. Be able to demonstrate my deserving, without going "over kill" in attending events

Time and cost becomes a bit of a factor in deciding what to do. Basically, I CAN attend the higher end of that spectrum, but my schedule and wallet would love for me to take it down a notch or two, if possible. But, if attending more (and hopefully doing well at them) will significantly help me in moving up, then I'd be willing to wrestle with my time and budget to do so.

For instance, say I were to attend 3-4 events (3-4 contests at each) earlier in the year, and I were to receive consistently high marks (maybe an AGL here and there, and maybe never less than 2nd or 3rd place, with reasonably decent-sized fields [say, 7 or more competitors for each event]):
  • Is there lots to be gained be attending a few more events? Or would it be fine to "sit back" a little, and work on new tunes for an (hopefully) eventual upgrade?
  • How many contests do YOU feel is adequate enough in a season to demonstrate an upgrade is appropriate?
  • How far do you find you will tend to travel to reach your goals?

Of course, the easy answer is to do "as many as possible." Point taken there, but that doesn't really help inquiring minds.

So I'm seeking overall, "in your experience" input. So regardless of your level/location, I'm interested in what the collective "you" have done/seen in your own journeys.

As always, any input is appreciated greatly.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Recommended number of competitions per season

The more events you can reasonably attend the more sooner PBA points youíll accrue...If you achieve the ( consistent ) 2nd and 3rd Ďs and AGLís...and a smattering of 1sts .... Then youíll have proved your mettle to the PBA and yourself. An upgrade the next season could reasonably be expected.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The more events you can reasonably attend the more sooner PBA points youíll accrue...If you achieve the ( consistent ) 2nd and 3rd Ďs and AGLís...and a smattering of 1sts .... Then youíll have proved your mettle to the PBA and yourself. An upgrade the next season could reasonably be expected.
Thanks for the input, most appreciated.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ultimately your grade level is down to how well you play, and while more contests might get you bumped up sooner, I think there's a lot to be said for getting there comfortably.

Too much preparing for competition can have you being good at being a grade X competitor while not becoming a better piper.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Maybe youíre overthinking it. Begin thinking about your local competitions, do those, see how it goes. In a future competition season, decide whether you want to travel and compete in competitions further afield.

Charlie
Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Right on, thanks folks. Again, it's just I have no clue what constitutes more than necessary, verses an adequate amount.

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to enter in at grade 3, instead of grade 4. According to my instructor, I'm already nearly ready for grade 2.

So basically, I may still be claiming easy wins right now in grade 3, and frankly, I'm not ok with that. If I should be at a higher level, but instead go around robbing prizes from others who deserve them, it just feels wrong.

So (presuming I do as well as I hope to) I just wanted to gain a better understanding of how to get to where I'll be having to work for a prize, rather than just getting them with ease. Not only do I not like the notion of stealing easy wins, but obviously I'm not going to improve if I'm not forced to work at it.

These answers have done that. I'm going to try to do several contests as early as I can this season, and see how I do. If I do well (great), then maybe I'll only do a couple others toward the end of the year. If not, well then clearly that would be a good reason to do more; i.e. keep getting out there, and work at it until I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

If youíre put into grade 3 then donít worry about it. Remember, thereís more to competing successfully than the music. Thereís nerves to deal with, varying temperatures, weather, plus a whole load of other things.

If you have an easy time in grade 3 then youíll be promoted the following year no doubt.

Charlie
Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

The organization is in charge of upgrades...unless requested by the competitor and accepted. Meanwhile donít feel bad about raising the bar in grade 3.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The organization is in charge of upgrades...unless requested by the competitor and accepted. Meanwhile donít feel bad about raising the bar in grade 3.
Right. To start out, I'd already requested and was granted grade 3. Otherwise I'd have started at grade 4. I'd like to get to grade 2 as soon as I can manage though, as it seems that I may be above grade level at 3.

We'll see. First competition is this weekend.

Thanks to all for the insight, it helps.

Cheers,
~Nate