Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Default Beginner help - CPA, the CLASP etc

Right, after a fairly long sabbatical from competing (15yrs!) I'm looking to get back into it. So in a nutshell what is the best way Living in Scotland? Do you have to be a member of the CPA? Or the CLASP? Or both? Can you outline the grading etc and submitting of tunes?
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
teuchter46
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Beginner help - CPA, the CLASP etc

There is no grading for CPA, just sign up. However to have any chance of being in the prizes at the main contests be aware you need to be able to take on players from the top Grade 1 bands.

CLASP has a grading system, go to the NPC in Glasgow for an audition or send a recording to Margaret Dunn at the Piping Centre. A lot of the players in CLASP like you are returning after lengthy breaks. It is a good way to get back into the competing habit.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Have a look at this, it explains the CLASP grading system. You'll also want to check your eligibility for Amateur status if you think this is the route for you...they'll keep you right.

https://theclasp.co.uk/grading/

You can't be in both CPA (pro) and CLASP (Amateur) so I'd suggest you think carefully and take advise from your tutor or someone "in the know" before making a decision. You can go from CLASP to CPA but as a general rule, you can't go the other way.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #4
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Sound, thanks. So I want to register with the CLASP? I'm defo an amateur!

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

So are most Highland games open comps? I don't see a huge amount listed on the CLASP, but the likes of the piping press have loads!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Given your location, you'll have a lot more professional contests accessible to you than CLASP, I'd think, and given your playing history you are easily good enough to not make a fool of yourself in open competition.

You don't have to be a member of the CPA, but it is inexpensive and worth it just for the Guide alone.
CalumII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
=CalumII;1320642

You don't have to be a member of the CPA, but it is inexpensive and worth it just for the Guide alone.
As one of the compiling team for the Guide, I thank you

There's some great games over your way Mac, some I'd give anything to be able to play at just for the experience, all pro.

Some people do a bit of a tour as well, for example you could do Balloch (Saturday), Rosneath (Sunday) and Inverary (Tuesday) in one trip as a professional. As an amateur you'd be able to do Balloch and Inverary next year.

Looking forward to seeing you out there, whichever route you take (and when I get back from Singapore).

Last edited by Bluescottygirl; 11-20-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Syntax or something
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

Calum, you are too kind sir!

Thank you for the info everyone.

I don't want to out and blow the doors off, I'm not looking to win. I suppose lacking the band activity, this is to push on my own learning /development.

Ṃran taing