Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
brewingjt100
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default An epiphany: blowing tone

I've been on the pipes for just over a year and I'm finally starting to get it. The last couple of times that I've played have been effortless. I could play all day. The stars have seemed to aligned. My bones and head vibrate with tone on an instrument in tune. I'm far from a virtuoso, but WOW what feeling. The nightly hour of practice for 18 months is finally starting to pay off in spades. I'm mostly a lurker here, but the education has been invaluable. For all you newbies, I didn't start until I was 52 years old. It's never too late. Join a band if you can. It forces you to exit your comfort zone.
Thank you,
John T

Last edited by brewingjt100; 01-14-2019 at 05:03 PM.
brewingjt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: An epiphany/blowing tone

Huzzah!

Congrats, friend! Keep preaching the good word!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Every year on the anniversary of starting out I think I'm starting to get it. Ten years later and thousands of hours of practice and many parades I think I'm starting to get it. I'll decide next year!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

I had one, too, most recently.

I was spending a lot of time focusing on things like blowing steady, bag pressure - the mechanics of blowing tone. That's not a bad thing, and honestly, the best players in the world ARE rock steady on those aspects.

But one day, there was a little click: the bag is just a means. Focusing on it isn't nearly as important as focusing on the tone itself. I began "blowing through the chanter".

And THAT made everything so much easier.

I don't know how to describe it other than that.
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Yup. Once you've heard yourself produce real tone, there is no going back. You'll never again accept an instrument or setup that doesn't do it.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

My blowing tone epiphany came a little over ten years ago (I was in my late 40s) when I joined a band pipe-majored by a world-class piper/tonemeister/reedmaker with a pipe corps mostly consisting of pipers with decades of grade one band experience. (Most of my experience was with grade 4 and 3 bands.)

He would make everybody new reeds at the start of the competition season and at the midpoint.

At practice we would just play retreats for an hour or so... the whole point was to focus on blowing tone. After an hour all of our blowing was totally dialed in, all the reeds totally settled in. Only then would be practice our competition sets.

The epiphany was that everything comes from blowing tone.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Yup. Once you've heard yourself produce real tone, there is no going back. You'll never again accept an instrument or setup that doesn't do it.
Almost a curse, the struggle is real. I end up tuning more than playing
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

It's something that every wind-instrument player has to learn at some point- not to play at the instrument or into the instrument, but through it.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
brewingjt100
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
It's something that every wind-instrument player has to learn at some point- not to play at the instrument or into the instrument, but through it.
That sums it precisely. The struggle wonderfully disappears. It doesnt happen every time , but when it does, itís magical.
brewingjt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingjt100 View Post
That sums it precisely. The struggle wonderfully disappears. It doesnt happen every time , but when it does, itís magical.
With proper maintenance and practiced blowing technique (see manometer), it should happen every time.

Piperís Dojo has lots of good info on this.