Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Re: Piping Equivs of Mainstream Composers

Well, I've never heard of Telemann before. Maybe it's because I only play piano, and not for instance the violin or trumpet or clarinet... Deborah plays piano, as well as being an opera singer.
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Kerwiler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hmm. Interesting. I am not sure what comparison she is looking for. Greatness of artistry? Mastery of form? Contribution to development of harmony/practice?

For example:

- Monteverdi (16th-17th C) - transitioned from modality to tonality
- Bach (first half of 18th) - synthesized and systematized 18th century counter point and harmony
- Haydn - Created the sonata form, which would dominate through the time of Beethoven
- Mozart - Took harmony in new directions, pushed boundaries of sonata form.
- Beethoven - pushed Bach system tonal harmony to the absolute edge; exhausted the limits of the sonata form
- Schubert - Used the Art song to means to find new harmonic direction after Beethoven (who had left everyone wondering what to do next).
- Wagner - either destroyed everything and killed Tonal music, or he showed the way to a new aesthetic of romanticism. Depends on how you understand and interpret the trends in composition after him.

Two composers, Saint-Saens and Mendelssohn, were stunning child prodigies (far greater than Mozart, whose abilities as a child were often exaggerated). Although they wrote great music, they didn't "contribute" much (whatever that means) to the development of music.

Teleman wrote more music than any human being who has every lived (over 8,000 works). They are important to the development of the literature for certain instruments (i.e. the oboe), but are not well known.

The McCrimmons and other early ceol mor composers I would put, collectively, in the class of Monteverdi - they created the foundation for what would come later.

Angus MacKay had a Bach-like role, even though he didn't compose a lot of music. He systematized, collected, and disseminated.

GS MacLennan has a Beethoven-esque role. He pushed the boundaries of composition, and, like Beethoven, was controversial for pushing the technical standards. The Little Cascade, for example, is both harmonically and technically unique for its time. Also - recall the whole controversy over the "five note birl" (the birl with a preceding g-gracenote).

Donald MacLeod would the equivalent of a post-Beethoven figure. Maybe a Schubert.

Gordan Duncan - served a Wagner-ian function. Depending on who you ask, he either destroyed everything (according to Seam... uh, I'd better not finish that...) or created a new path.

Today we have a bunch of people that have roles similar to Debussy or Darius Milhaud and a whole lot that I would compare to the 3rd stream jazz composers.

Last edited by Kerwiler; 06-26-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Kerwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Wow! Very impressive! I think this is what Deborah was looking forward to hearing all her life... I'll share that with her.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
Kerwiler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Piper turned musicologist turned attorney. I know not enough about pipes, too much about music history, and enough law to make it all sound pseudo-authoritative!

Last edited by Kerwiler; 06-26-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Kerwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Well, Deborah would love you! First, she's going into Psychology. Second, she's a huge Classical music fan, complete with having grown up with and taught singing by her opera-singing mother. Third, she heard bagpipes most all her life, having lived in Canada since she was 3, now lives in West Bloomfield. But, she was originally from Nigeria!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #16
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

As a classical music lover myself, what a fun and fascinating discussion! And I agree that Kerwiler's overview was impressive. And Deborah sounds incredibly special. My field is psychology; so I'll also extend a best wishes on Deborah's pursuit in that field, as well. Anyway, thanks for this fun topic and the various views.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote