Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Interesting Piobaireachd competitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post

No. There was just one event open to all competitors.
Hmmm, it seems unregulated comps don't usually last long....pitting lower players against higher.
I think it's why 'we' arrived at PBA's with ( almost) clear rules for games and competitors to enforce for a level field of piping,adjudication and long term success.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Hmmm, it seems unregulated comps don't usually last long....pitting lower players against higher.
I think it's why 'we' arrived at PBA's with ( almost) clear rules for games and competitors to enforce for a level field of piping,adjudication and long term success.
Yeah...not the best of possible worlds. On the other hand, in Scotland once a piper hit 18 that has been the reality of piobaireachd, and all solo, competition until very recently .

BTW, the Missouri contest lapsed I think because 1) the local guy behind it moved out of state and 2) expense. I don't think the Scottish festival of which the contest was a part lasted much longer...maybe another year or two.
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
I wonder what would happen if a competitor were to play a tune in a competition that he or she had composed? I wonder if the adjudicators would accept the sheet music and let the chump play away?
In five out of six piobaireachd competitions so far this year, I've included one of my tunes in the list of tunes I submit (three tunes are required). Twice, a judge has selected my tune.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
In five out of six piobaireachd competitions so far this year, I've included one of my tunes in the list of tunes I submit (three tunes are required). Twice, a judge has selected my tune.
Interesting ....were these PBA sanctioned events? What grade?

So, how did you fare vis the winners circle?
Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Interesting ....were these PBA sanctioned events? What grade?

So, how did you fare vis the winners circle?
All were EUSPBA events except Kamloops, which falls under the British Columbia Pipers' Association. Grade one. 3/6 and 4/5.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post

All were EUSPBA events except Kamloops, which falls under the British Columbia Pipers' Association. Grade one. 3/6 and 4/5.
Good stuff. No , great stuff ....to create your own and have it appreciated on the boards. Wonder if you'd share what comments from the adjudicators re 'originality', flow, difficulty etc.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Do bear in mind that top pipers often have a very large slate of tunes to learn already. ........When the settings or styles specified are out of the competition mainstream, you're also increasing the workload beyond simply learning another tune as well.
Yes, I understand. But this was an all-amateur competition where the soloists main concern seemed to be how to keep a very short list of competition tunes in rotation and add on another within a 6-month lead time. I was surprised this seemed to be a challenge, but it was a common complaint, and it's tough to hold a competition with few players interested in reaching outside their comfort zone. An opportunity for players to express their special musical interests gets in the way of chasing medals.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote