Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #21
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Piping injury - abdominal pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

Aack! I could barely get into my car after practice last night. 0915 appointment tomorrow with my groinocologist to revisit and schedule a double hernia...

OK ...zo! scheduled for a smallish ventral hernia + a inguinal groin hernia repaired next week....mesh patch on the ventral (above naval) with a few internal stitches at the other site done robotically internally.

Anybody have this procedure experience for real?.. and how long before you were in playing condition again?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
....mesh patch on the ventral (above naval) with a few internal stitches at the other site done robotically internally....
Ughh! Sounds too gory for me to even want to google for details. Here's hoping you get well soon and only need a short hiatus from the pipes.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
Scotty
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Just to let you all know I have an ultrasound scan in 2 weeks. I will keep you up to date.

This is exactly how I felt! I was blowing waaaay to hard and assumed that this was normal. I now feel so silly for thinking that was sensible. I didn't know any better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Hi Scotty -

I blew too hard, for too long, when I first tried the pipe chanter, because I didn't know any better. The best I can figure now is that it wasn't obvious in the moment that I was dangerously straining something. I just felt out of breath, and thought that kids and senior citizens play these things, I just needed to tough it out. Only when the involved muscles got inflamed and weak over the following days did I notice discomfort. It wasn't a hard reed, I just wasn't built up to it. It was awhile before I could play again, I had to just work on the practice chanter for a bit.

gisahag - I think my blowpipe contributed highly to this problem. I was just looking at it earlier today and it looks like it has the problem you have just stated.. the pipe is pressing up against the bottom of the bottle which is restricting the airflow. Such a crap design! managed adjust it to give it most space now. but I wont be using it for a while as im still recovering. Haven't opened my pipes in another 4 weeks now
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #24
Scotty

Hello all! A more positive update..

After waiting 6 weeks I eventually had my ultrasound scan on my groin area. There seems to be no evidence of an inguinal hernia. I wasn't too surprised by this as I had been resting from all physical activity for 2 months apart from some running, and I haven't felt any discomfort in weeks.

I hope the conclusion of the scan is correct. I just feel like if it was hernia related, then it would most definitely be in the early stages and probably very hard to detect. There was never a bulge or anything protruding through. The nurse said she could see nothing, and even got my to tense up and do half sit-ups to tense my abb muscles while scanning.

Who knows what I injured. I'm happy with the scan but still a little nervous as it disappeared twice before but came back as soon as I blew up the pipes. The moment of truth will be in this next week.. I'm going to easy into the pipes again and get slowly back into the gym. Pray for me!

Cheers again for all the advice.
Scotty
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #25
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Hello all! A more positive update..

After waiting 6 weeks I eventually had my ultrasound scan on my groin area. There seems to be no evidence of an inguinal hernia. I wasn't too surprised by this as I had been resting from all physical activity for 2 months apart from some running, and I haven't felt any discomfort in weeks.

I hope the conclusion of the scan is correct. I just feel like if it was hernia related, then it would most definitely be in the early stages and probably very hard to detect. There was never a bulge or anything protruding through. The nurse said she could see nothing, and even got my to tense up and do half sit-ups to tense my abb muscles while scanning.

Who knows what I injured. I'm happy with the scan but still a little nervous as it disappeared twice before but came back as soon as I blew up the pipes. The moment of truth will be in this next week.. I'm going to easy into the pipes again and get slowly back into the gym. Pray for me!

Cheers again for all the advice.
Scotty
Hey man, I'm glad you're alright!

I told my wife about the injury, we both cringed in your behalf.

No more gut-buster reeds!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #26
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

I'm glad they didn't find anything, and I hope the issue is resolved. Let us know what happens when you get back on the pipes.
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #27
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

And, as you ease back onto the pipes, do it with an easy reed. I am based in London and can help you with this if your instructor won't. You can PM me.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 AM   #28
Scotty

Hello all.

I think its worth one more update on this

I have felt a lot better over this last few weeks and I feel like I am almost back to how I was before my injury. I've been practising for 20 minutes most days and not feeling any pain.

I'm still very cautious when I'm playing. If I'm having a bad day playing then I won't take any risks blowing to hard or trying to overcome anything. I played with the band at the weekend for armed forces day and I managed to play a few of the songs. thankfully I couldn't actually play some the songs so I was able to have a few breaks. (I just kept the drones going and wiggles my fingers)!

Very keen now to start learning again and get some songs under my belt. I feel like I need to make up for lost time!

Although my reed now is a lot easier to play, in my opinion it sounds a little dull and seems off on the high notes. It doesn't feel 100% like the reed for me. So the hunt for the perfect reed is still on.

Word of advice for anyone playing the pipes... Don't blow to hard!!! Its not worth it! Seriously, if you find yourself tensing/crunching or leaning forward slightly, or lifting a leg, so that you can maintain pressure then stop. Don't have the 'I need to man up' attitude. That's what I did and paid for it.

Scotty