Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
SFPIPER
Forum Regular

Default Kinnaird Edge Reeds

Put them in this morning....
I was going to go bass first then tenors a day or two later..
BUT
it was too easy so I swapped all three-
My thoughts/observations
They fit well-good and snug into the reed seat. I like to plug reeds in as deep as they will go so I have a reproducible/consistent starting point.
With the factory set-up the bass tunes at 1 finger. Tenors just below the hemp line.
The sound is very full with a nice blend....at least to my ears. FYI- I have some high-frequency loss due to my reckless life style.
Sound is a little coarse just prior to strike in....but who cares. When the drones come in, the sound is great.
I pulled the nose cones and backed the tuning screw out about 5 turns each IOT lengthen the air column. Did not get a chance to play more- I will see where everything tunes tomorrow.
Air consumption-
WOW! quite the difference to my previous set up. That's all I can say for now as I didn't have time to monkey with the reed tongues. I figured to get them in and going first, then get the pitch where I want it- with my pipes it's between 1/8 to 1/4" of hemp showing and 2 fingers on the bass.
Maybe play for a couple of days to be sure everything is settled in and then tinker a bit with the tongue settings and see if I can dial down air use a wee bit more.
Right now my pipe is a bit easier to play.
Daddy likes. MTF
Cheers-
R

SFPIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

Default Re: Kinnaird Edge Reeds

Could you please add a little information, because curious minds want to know:

1) What type of Drones and Chanter / Chanter reed do you currently play?

2) What were your previous drone reeds?

3) How are they for the cut-off?

I've been using Kinnairds for 10 years, in a variety of pipes, and really love them. Now I trying to decide if I new a new set...
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have tried the Edge and they’re OK. The tenor tongues are more like the original Kinnairds (a little shorter than in the Evo’s). The tenors also seemed less buzzy.

What is great about them is the grub-screw for dialing in cut-off pressure. This means no more messing about with the bridle.

But.... while the grub-screw in the Edge reeds ought to make it easier to fine-tune the tenors to each other. For me, they were still tricky because now you need micro-adjustments of the grub screw.

I also wonder about the effect of actually adjusting the bridle? Does it effect tone? While they are pre-set before shipping, are they set to be truly identical?

So far, I am lukewarm about the Kinnaird Edge reeds. I play vintage Robertson drones and am currently preferring Evo tenors and a cane bass. The main reason for this is that the Evo tenors simply work very well.

As for the Edge reeds, they’re waiting for me to spend more than a couple of days futzing with them before I discount them as I may simply not have got them to the point where they really make my tenors blend with my bass, while not overpowering my chanter.

Please don’t read the above as a negative or positive review of Kinnaird Edge reeds by a piping expert. I am not an expert. I compete grade 2 and 3.

Finally, I do not regret purchasing the Edge reeds, as I am confident that I can get them sounding to a degree with which I will be extremely happy.

Charlie
Old 02-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
SFPIPER
Forum Regular

Neal-
1. My current set up is Atherton Premier with a Peter Henderson chanter. I feed it Chesney chanter reeds.

2. Drone reeds that I have played in this pipe-
cane
Selbie
Kinnaird
Kinnaird Evolution
Kinnaird bass reed paired with EZdrone tenors (real nice blend BTW)

3. Cut offs are clean so far- like I said, I haven't fiddled with reed strength yet.

SFPIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

Thank you, SFPiper!
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote