Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Large mouthpiece protector

I am considering getting a reed wrangler, but then I saw something else that caught my eye: I have seem some players with just these HUGE rubber mouthpiece protectors! Many of the mouthpiece protectors offered are usually pretty small.

I am assuming they find some sort of special tubing somewhere that suits their needs. Would this be the case? If so, do any of you use large rubber protectors? & if you do, where would you find such things?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Default Re: Large mouthpiece protector

I use silicone tubing from FreshWaterSystems.com. Specifically:

Silcon Silicone Tubing 3/8 ID x 1/2 OD x 1' - 25 foot roll
Part # 280-0608:25FT

This fits fine on Airstream and MacLellan mouthpieces, cut to any length I want.

Last edited by Steven Knox; 03-28-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: forgot to mention "cut to length"
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
I am considering getting a reed wrangler, but then I saw something else that caught my eye: I have seem some players with just these HUGE rubber mouthpiece protectors! Many of the mouthpiece protectors offered are usually pretty small.

I am assuming they find some sort of special tubing somewhere that suits their needs. Would this be the case? If so, do any of you use large rubber protectors? & if you do, where would you find such things?
When I was having some necessary dental work I felt a rubber tip would be beneficial until the permanent work was solid. I wrestled the black grip off the end of an inexpensive ball point pen and found that did the trick....
Otherwise I wouldnít recommend other than a standard round mouthpiece tip to anyone....with advice to learn to not chomp,...develop and exercise self control of lips and facial muscles...relax while playing...to appear to be effortlessly enjoying the playing. With more years of experience ...anyone would be grateful.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, WBpiper, and to All,

Simply based upon my own experience (in such
matters as surgical dental work, etc.)... as well as
upon the experience of several... if not many...
others... were I in your spot... I would opt for the
Reed Wrangler.

I would hazard... that you shall like it.

Many of us have found it a boon for... and if nothing
else... helping us to extend our playing time... :)

But... if you get one... and don't like it... just please do
send me a shout... and I shall be happy to buy it from
you.

However it may all turn out... wishing you...

All the Best!!

Pip01

Old 03-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

FWIW, I just put an old Airstream mouthpiece on a blowstick two days ago and used a standard black mouthpiece protector on it. The trick is to soak the rubber protector in hot ( Not scalding!) water and get one edge started, the lever the opposite side on with something like a stick pen,then "wiggle " it into position a little at a time.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

I'm another big fan of the Reed Wrangler. It definitely improved my playing time. Leads to more relaxed playing for me too.
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Well it's settled then! I'm getting the reed wrangler!

I do have a problem with low muscle tone, unless my reeds are very easy I cannot form a proper seal. If that doesn't work I will consider a custom blowpipe mouthpiece, McCallum made one with a "dish" where your mouth lies on a large flat surface.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post

I will consider a custom blowpipe mouthpiece, McCallum made one with a "dish" where your mouth lies on a large flat surface.
Itís actually a readily available screw in hard plastic replacement for the standard round hard plastic mouthpiece tip that comes in a Mccallum bulb mouthpiece.
Screw one out and the other in.
It is similar to a reed wrangler ..but is a smaller width flattened round. ...not as wide as the wrangler...definitely not soft.

The wranglerís wide flat shape is not nearly the ergonomic shape of normal pursed lips when blowing. Why to think it less taxing to embouchure more comfortably than a normal ergonomic round I personally donít get.
Not to mention a round tip will always (on parade or otherwise) ,glide exactly correct into the lips at Ďpipes upí vs having to hurredly fidget a wide oval askant to set it correctly comfortable.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Why to think it less taxing to embouchure more comfortably than a normal ergonomic round I personally donít get.
Not to mention a round tip will always (on parade or otherwise) ,glide exactly correct into the lips at Ďpipes upí vs having to hurredly fidget a wide oval askant to set it correctly comfortable.
It's just one of those things I guess.

IMO do what you can to get them to play comfortably and properly.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

I started off with a big bore round mouthpiece. Then one night I played my teacher's pipes. He had a big bore oval, and I noticed an immediate difference; it was much easier to play than mine. About 2 years ago I switched to the Reed Wrangler, and that was evan easier to play than the big bore oval.

From my perspective, you're spreading the load of maintaining a proper embouchure over a greater area, which requires less effort. So a round mouthpiece is liking picking up a weight with two fingers. An oval is picking up the same weight with all five fingers. The Reed Wrangler is like using your whole hand to pick up to weight.

Plus I leave the tube of the Reed Wrangler as long as I can, so it's flexible through it's whole length. I can move my head around without losing my embouchure. To me, that's more ergonomic; the whole instrument is more flexible, and able to respond to my inputs.
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote