Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Chef-ryan
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Send a message via MSN to Chef-ryan
Default To Goose or not to Goose

Hello gang, I am new to the bagpipes like so fresh i have learned the scale but had some issues and had to put down my chanter but now want to pick it back up and am just waiting on a new reed (mine went missing through a few moves across canada) .. and am just working on budgeting for next steps( not right away but so i can save it up if i decide to go full set) and i have seen some people recommend to use the goose pipe as a middle step from a practice chanter and full pipes, but i see other people just saying to get similar feel is to plug your drones and practice with just the chanter on the full size pipes. Input greatly appreciated.
Chef-ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: To Goose or not to Goose

You can do either one. Using a goose is fun just by itself if you want a practice chanter and want continual air flow but haven't learned to circular breathe, but I find it very difficult to keep a steady pressure (as you barely need any air to sound the chanter), and playing on the goose doesn't help much on the real pipes themselves.

I would practice with the chanter, drones plugged. You will start to build some endurance using the pipe chanter with a much harder reed which will help you when unplugging the drones.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Chef-ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Allen View Post
I would practice with the chanter, drones plugged. You will start to build some endurance using the pipe chanter with a much harder reed which will help you when unplugging the drones.
Thats what i thought, but i didn't think about the stiffer reed for when using with drones plugged, thanks. I am still open to hearing from the others here.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Goose is a waste of time.

The practice chanter can become a waste of time too as it is crucial for initial fingering and technique in your first year of learning, but is still not the actual instrument. As an example I can practice tunes all day on my PC (and sometimes I do) but then transitioning them to the pipes feels completely different so if it weren't for the late hours I might as well have practiced everything on the actual instrument itself. Same applies to a goose. It feels nothing like the real thing. The point is to be playing the Highland Bagpipes, not another second step-up instrument.

Take your time, learn the technique and instrument theory and then save your money and make the move when you're ready for a full set of pipes.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
The practice chanter can become a waste of time too ...ship
I take issue with this!! A practice chanter is a tool that is used constantly during your complete piping career. It is not a waste of time!!

As to a goose, well it does sever a purpose but not everyone agrees it is a necessary step.

However Maj. Archie Cairns says in his piping manuals...

Learn it on the practice chanter
Perfect it on the goose (bagpipe with corked stocks and practice chanter in lieu of pipe chanter)
Perform it on the bagpipe
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Chef-ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Perfect it on the goose (bagpipe with corked stocks and practice chanter in lieu of pipe chanter)
Does the practice chanter easily adapt to the stock for the chanter? and what would the harm be in using the real chanter in it spot on the goose?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
I take issue with this!! A practice chanter is a tool that is used constantly during your complete piping career. It is not a waste of time!!

As to a goose, well it does sever a purpose but not everyone agrees it is a necessary step.

However Maj. Archie Cairns says in his piping manuals...

I definitely like the Goose better. I can play one for longer than a practice chanter before my lip gives out, or the reed wonks out due to moisture. There are no breaks, pauses, kinda-sorta re-starts and such awkwardness while you take a breath... in a band situation happening to take a breath during awkward phrases isn't even an option!

I find Archie Cairns advice about learning on the chanter and perfecting on Goose quite agreeable. It does help to know the Tune fairly well when you put it on the Goose... just as it helps to have familiarity with the Tune before before having a go on the Pipes.

For Pipers that happen to have a synth bag that is old, worn out and maybe too leaky for the Pipes.. or anyone that can score one cheap.. All you need is a custom stock for the chanter (unless you have a fat top PC, with a large tenon that might fit a standard Chanter Stock) a Blowstock, and 3 large rubber stoppers to tie in where the drones go. Presumably you already have a Blowstick or two.

****If the bag leaks a little, its not a terribly problem with a goose... it might even keep you from overblowing it. Which is why I recommend picking up, or re-purposing a "blown out" old synth bag.

Here is a bag I made from a scrap of leather.. a wee sausage bag that turned out to be way uncomfortably small. (I sewed the seam witha machine, then barge cemented the seam, then shoe goo on top of that) A stock I had already, with a DIY bushing (goose adapter), a DIY blowstock, and a unique and cheap adjustable blowstick system. Franken Goose. An unsuspecting student will plug in a child size chanter to that tonight.

The funky red silicon fix-it tape... That is over a proper tie in.. which leaked a little. I has planning to do the wrap anyway, and it fixed the leak. I use the "fix it" brand tape on all synth bag stocks, for a double insurance over-wrap.. and will henceforth do the same on all traditional / regular tie ins.

Last edited by Rojellio; 02-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Chef-ryan

hmmm, ok tho I still like what kirby suggested (GHB with drone plugged and a stiffer reed so you have more resistance to make up for lack of drones) . luckily for me majority of the time there is few people here mid week. :P so I can make lots of noise or take the boat out and play in the middle of the lake. :P
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-ryan View Post
Does the practice chanter easily adapt to the stock for the chanter? and what would the harm be in using the real chanter in it spot on the goose?
two ways to adapt to the standard pipe chanter stock....Add lot of hemp everytime you want to use the goose or purchase/make an adapter

As to the pipe chanter vs practice chanter....Volume and pressure...

What is your intent?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-ryan View Post
hmmm, ok tho I still like what kirby suggested (GHB with drone plugged and a stiffer reed so you have more resistance to make up for lack of drones) . luckily for me majority of the time there is few people here mid week. :P so I can make lots of noise or take the boat out and play in the middle of the lake. :P
You certainly won't need a stiffer reed and even an easy reed will be more than you will be able to blow at first. 26 months into this and I have played 40 tunes in a row I still practice 95% with drones plugged. My poly chanter fits my stock and I played that as a kitchen pipe when I started and that helped a lot. Oh and you can buy an adapter for a regular PC.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Last edited by John Bolt; 02-29-2012 at 10:35 AM.
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote