Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Best Acoustics (in the World) for Bagpipes?

When I began playing pipes in a parking garage (the most convenient place my instructor and I could find to meet) I could not believe the the complex and harmonic reverb that was created inside that huge, 'hard' space. Since then I've relished playing in or hearing pipes in other high-ceilinged venues. I personally don't find that the pipes sound nearly as rich and vibrant in smaller 'soft' (carpeted, fibred tiles) indoor locations, and, I know that this is heresy, outdoors... Unless you're in a canyon or similar, there is just something comparatively lacking in the colour of the tone in wide open spaces, solo pipers or even bands.

Andrew Douglas from Piper's Dojo just uploaded a video of Cameron Drummond and himself playing in what is purportedly the best venue in the world for accoustics, the "EMPAC" Center at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. I've included a link to the video here at the 5m 27s mark where Cameron, followed briefly by Andrew, are both playing rather proficiently. YMMV, but what are others' experiences with venues?

Last edited by HighlandPark; 03-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Re: Best Acoustics (in the World) For Bagpipes?

Last fall I played for the opening of a brand new curling venue. It was a fairly small one with only a few lanes (I forget just what they are called, at the moment) and was surprised how well it sounded. It wasn't perfect but a whole lot better then I'd anticipated.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

The Dan Harpole Cistern, at Fort Worden in Washington. Really, really odd space. I was there for a martial arts intensive, and happened to luck into an invite with a group of music students who were also at Fort Worden for an intensive. The reverb is unbelievable.

"Nearly two-hundred feet in diameter and fourteen feet deep, the Dan Harpole Cistern was originally built to put out fires in case the bunkers rimming the upper Fort Worden hill ever came under attack. When the fort closed in the mid-1950s, the two million-gallon cistern, hidden beneath a carpet of grass, was drained.

There is nothing to compare to the forty-five second reverberation in the Cistern. It is not just the long reverb time that makes the Cistern unique, however, but also the pillars that support the roof. The shape of the sound begins to be reflected, as the sound moves through the pillar system to the wall. As the sound travels along the wall, there are little bounces off the pillars—all these little reflections that pick up and reinforce and cancel out the harmonics. You can improvise with those sounds, adding the next phrase while the first is still lingering and fading."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvND...ED4DBC53B4300B

I'd be curious to see how the pipes sound in the cooling tower of the uncompleted Satsop Nuclear Plant in Washington, southwest of Seattle.

https://nerdist.com/bass-guitar-in-a...cooling-tower/
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post

.."only a few lanes (I forget just what they are called, at the moment)
...” sheets”...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Awesome video from the Dojo, wow.

Definitely worth seeking out spaces like this to play in. I love the churches, etc with more of a domed ceiling. You walk into the center of the space and the sound of the pipes triples in intensity, I swear. The Lyric Theatre here in Rochester is good for that, a beautiful old space I snuck into last Summer. I need to have someone sneak me into the Eastman Theatre here in town to play some day too.

OTOH, I played in an old church this past fall with your typical ~2 story high nave/sanctuary, etc, and was looking forward to it, but it sounded pretty dead. Fiber tile ceiling.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Weasner; 03-09-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Matt Weasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I am sure the recording doesn't really do it justice but I love the acoustics in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3UIkJN7r9Q

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

For my ear... it's an old stone church... every time!! :)

Old 03-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Any hard surfaced enclosed space will get all that sound bouncing around back at you.

I played a funeral one time in a stone mausoleum and the reverb and sound was incredible.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

The ferry waiting room dome at Rowe's Wharf in Boston is incredible! On teh other hand , I played (tuba) for a clambake with a Dixieland band in the Atrium at the JFK Museum once and it was too live- we had to watch each other because we couldn't hear ourselves
Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Chris Apps

I once heard Willie Cochrane playing in York Minster. Absolutely fabulous. Totally filled that enormous space.