Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #21
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Who invented the bagpipes?

"Who invented the bagpipes? "

All right, this has gone on long enough. I admit it. It was me. Sorry for any trouble I've caused.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #22
Hudson Valley Bagpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

The Irish gave the Bagpipes to the Scottish as a Joke...But the Scots haven't figure it out Yet...LOL everyone...
Old 09-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #23
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Moving back to seriousness when looking at the origins of any sort of pipes a recent news story adds some spice.

The use of bone to make wind instruments including bagpipes goes back quite a way. For example Barnaby Brown made a reproduction of a 40,000 year old instrument made from a Vulture bone that was found in Germany. See here

http://www.altpibroch.com/learning/t...tune-and-pipe/

However it also appears that the practice of using bone was not restricted to animals, but could also be made from the bones of ones ancestors.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...archaeologists

It gives a whole new meaning to the term an 'inherited traditions'.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #24
Andrew Lenz

Thank you, Keith. Fascinating stuff. I've always appreciated Barnaby's work. (And yours, of course!)

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #25
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Definitely fascinating. Great thread, thanks for all the viewpoints.

Not sure if this is along the same lines or not but I also find the future of bagpiping, Highland piping at least, to be fascinating. Which instrument aspects will settle with traditional vs. what will be accepted from the current trends to be the new normal. For example, when I was beginning to learn the pipes in 2008 there were a lot of changes happening that I didn't fully become aware of until later. None of these are good or bad in my opinion but just more interesting the natural shifts to what becomes standard.

For one, Rocket Reeds were a huge deal then prompting questions of 'a final' cane replacement. There weren't that many types of synthetic reeds at the time and only a few were 'polished' for lack of better wording. Today, there are so many quality options it is more about finding your sound than replicating/replacing cane. I only seem to see cane mentioned now (if at all) in talks around Glenfiddich, Bratach Gorm, or Worlds. Even then, it is usually only the bass reed with synthetic tenors. When I started out cane was the minority for sure, but it still had a strong place and lots of back and forth about trade offs of going synthetic in discussions. Cane today looks like tone chasing.

Along the same theme there were lots of people playing hide bags such as L&M. I recall that many didn't desire something like a hybrid synthetic because they had become familiar with the non-hybrid floppy bags, the feel of newfangled grommeted tie in, or found the shape too odd compared to traditional skin bags. Ross, Monarch, Shepherd, Canmore, Moose, Bannatyne and the list goes on. Now however, they have become more refined in the last 10-15 years and synthetic bags and grommets, particularly hybrid versions, are firmly considered the standard normal with the best/most consistent moisture control. They are even played at the highest competitions. To get no grommets you have to special order in many cases including many skin bags. So newer normal here too.

There are other aspects I'm sure others can point out such as the bulky moisture control systems which were really, really big and standard for a number of years and now seem to have dialed back with the continued refinement of synthetic bags. And skin bags are starting to adapt to adding zippers.

I'm curious about all of this as it's interesting to me to see what advances forward to become normal and what age old pieces are kept as tried and true. I actually find myself in a position now where I may be purchasing a goatskin bag for different ergonomics after years on hybrid and several hide bags. Yet I also use Drone Dry stocks which are newfangled (relatively) but do a great job of keeping moisture off the drone reeds and out of the bores.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #26
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

As but a partial aside... to this Thread's title... can
anyone give an approximate idea (or rough guess :)
as to when... as the tale is told... the Scots... added
the second tenor drone... and christened it all... The
Great Highland Bagpipe?

Any and all... points of reference... facts... (God help
us :)... conjecture... or wild stabs in the dark... are to
be welcomed.

I would guess... about 275 years... or so... ago... but
as I say... that's just my guess.

Many thanks.

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 AM   #27