Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Barry Shears

Default Archival recordings now included

Hello all,
I wanted to let everyone know about recent additions to my web site
https://capebretonpiper.com/

check out archival performances by Alex Currie, Joe Hughie MacIntyre and his brother Duncan, and myself. Also take a listen to the late Theresa Burke describing how she made home made chanters when she was a young woman in Cape Breton. I have also included an essay about a well travelled Nova Scotia Gael who was winning competitions in Scotland in the late 19th century for both violin and piping. As far as I know Mackenzie Baillie was the first Nova Scotian / Canadian to have competitive success in Scotland.
I hope you enjoy it. I will be posting more field recordings and articles over the next few months .
Ṃran Taing
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: archival recordings now included

Good Friday Morning, Barry,

Once and again... thank you!!... and so very much...
for all of your diligence... and hard work!! :)

The more we know... the more we can appreciate...
those who came before... and so bring to bear... the
understanding... to help improve... that which we shall
leave... for others... in the future...

All the Best!!

Pip01

Old 09-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Archival recordings now included

Amazing recordings there, Barry. Thanks for all the work you have done over the decades. Without your original research and careful collecting of these important recordings and tunes Cape Breton piping wouldn't be the "thing" it is today.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

This thread brings to mind a question I've been thinking about recently. After all these years, I find myself still gravitating to Barry's Cape Breton Collection Vol. 1. On so many levels its a wonderful compilation. I have also been using Ceol Sean over the past year to look at and rediscover countless old tunes, and I've noticed that, particularly with strathspeys and reels, many of the tunes in Cape Breton Vol. 1 are also found in Ross, Glen, Gunn, et. al.

So, Barry, have you encountered any evidence that any printings of the early collections made their way to Cape Breton with the immigrants, or are we pretty much talking about strictly an oral tradition? Perhaps you've answered this in your publications, and I've missed it.

Thanks.

Matt
Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Barry Shears

Thanks Guys,
Matt, There very few published books of pipe music brought from Scotland since most couldn't read music. MacDonald Gunn and Mackay , and later the Glens drew from similar oral sources since Glasgow and Edinburgh were getting pipers from the Highlands there looking for work. John Gibson found an old collection rare 19th century collection to the web page dealing with the Beatons of Pictou County. Norman Beaton left NS for San Fran and was , according to local papers considered the best piper in the Pacific North West.His brother Walter could read music and did spend a year or two in San Fran playing pipes and violin in the 1880s, I know he collected collections of pipe music and had one of the largest for the time before his death in the 1930s. Also pipers are going back and forth to Boston, as well as other parts fo the USA where they encountered Scottish emigrants pipers. Pipers also brought back collections of music when they were overseas during the First World War . I spent an evening with Alex Currie going through the Gunn Collection. Some tunes he didn't know, others he played a bit differently and still others he knew by different names usually Gaelic titles. The new collection has 50 tunes I recorded from Alex and among the other 199 in the collection are different regional settings some of the most popular tunes of the turn of the last century. Cheers Barry

Last edited by Barry Shears; 09-29-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

Barry -

Thanks for the response. Really interesting. Years ago I purchased a hard-bound reprint of Gunn, and I still go through it. Gunn had a different, and spare, approach to notating ornamentation, but that's a topic for another thread.

Matt
Old 10-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Barry Shears

Matt if you are referring to the Gathering of the Clans Vol. 1 some of the older tunes were taken from Glens but most of the other tunes were arranged by me for the pipes drawing on what some of older fiddlers were playing. I marked all the tunes as Traditional where appropriate, and included a note in the table of contents indicating the handful of tunes not arranged by me. It was a little disheartening to see some of my settings recorded (and taught as Traditional) without proper credit given. just last year Was playing in a session at the PIpers gathering and one of the session tunes was the Bird's Nest reel. I had composed the second part and published it in GOCVOL1. It has since been recorded and republished without due credit. Guess no one reads the Table of Contents. that was my first book and I learned my lesson. Now I put my name and/or contribution next to the title. But there are ways around this. I recently heard a performance in Scotland of The Old Copperplate. I published a setting of that in The Cape Breton Collection based on two sources 1
Irish and one CB. originally in G ,I moved it to A and incorporated some phrases from a local fiddling friend of mine. the Scottish piper took this CBCCOL setting and played the C's natural instead of sharp. So is this a new arrangement, when one note is changed and everything else remains the same? An interesting question.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
GeorgeM
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks Barry wish I had seen this sooner, great resource
"Pipers are generally clothed in scarlet and fine linen..fare sumptuously every day..and are courted and caressed by every body, especially by the Ladies, who would prefer a Piper to a Prince" - the 'Amateur' in The Bagpipe Preceptor, 1818
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
Donald Ross
Forum Clasp

Seriously, Barry. The global piping world owes you a debt it could never repay. There is so much to the Cape Breton tradition. Tunes, playing style, pipers and fiddlers, lineages, composers, on and on.

The body of work is immense and unique and I fear much would have been lost of not for you and the people you spent countless hours with to collect it all. Even the portion which would have survived would not currently be available to the whole world to share if not for your distribution and work to get it all "out there" for us.

Thank you, so much.
Donald Ross
Portland, Oregon
Donald Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
JeremyKingsbury
Forum Member

Wow, these are great Barry, Thanks!

https://www.wetootwaag.com/
JeremyKingsbury is offline   Reply With Quote