Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
No. But if you've never had the experience of coming to love a piece of music that didn't appear to hold much value before you'd learnt to play it, you're not really stretching yourself as an artist. And there are not many people who can honestly say they adored piobaireachd before learning to play it.

Point taken. I don't fully agree, but I appreciate your perspective. I AM stretching and growing as an artist, but I'm doing so in my own way, albeit slowly. Stubborn people grow slowly, so that's my cross to bear.

Case and point, I'm just now starting to understand much of what previous instructors were trying to get across to me. Unfortunately, I needed to acquire an appreciation on my own terms, not anyone else's. In my case, that took 20 years to happen.

I've been in touch with a few folks since my little epiphany. As expected, all had responses along the lines of "wow, the pigs now have an air force ... us sausage eaters are doomed."

And I'm definitely glad for making this post. Some of the earlier suggestions didn't quite strike my fancy. When I pulled open Black Donald's March though BOOM. So it's happened again now, thanks to that gentleman. Small miracle number two.

Not only that, I later went over some of the other suggestions again, and with a couple of them, I find myself gravitating more toward them then I had at first. Miracles three and four.

Would it have been great if I'd arrived at this situation 20 years ago? Absolutely. Too bad it wasn't going to happen.

Thanks for weighing in. While I don't think I can qualify to be someone who "can honestly say they adored piobaireachd before learning to play it" ... maybe, in my own way, I can become something close. I'll check in someday and let you know if I get there; maybe by miracle 287.

Last edited by Pppiper; 01-15-2017 at 06:48 AM. Reason: idiocy
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
Potsdam
Forum Member

I'd recommend either 'Battle of the Pass of Crieff' or 'Too Long in this Condition.'

Battle...of Crieff has a full compliment of variations (including a potential taorluath a mach based on how Colin Maclellan plays it in his world's greatest pipers recording).

Too Long in This Condition has a similar feel and longing.

Cheers
Ross

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Potsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #23
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsdam View Post
I'd recommend either 'Battle of the Pass of Crieff' or 'Too Long in this Condition.'

Battle...of Crieff has a full compliment of variations (including a potential taorluath a mach based on how Colin Maclellan plays it in his world's greatest pipers recording).

Too Long in This Condition has a similar feel and longing.

Cheers
Ross

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I'll check out Too Long in This Condition. As for Battle ... of Crieff, great call. I stumbled across that the other day on the PS site, and it definitely grabbed me.

Cheers!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #24
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

Case and point, I'm just now starting to understand much of what previous instructors were trying to get across to me. Unfortunately, I needed to acquire an appreciation on my own terms, not anyone else's. In my case, that took 20 years to happen.

And I'm definitely glad for making this post. Some of the earlier suggestions didn't quite strike my fancy. When I pulled open Black Donald's March though BOOM. So it's happened again now, thanks to that gentleman. Small miracle number two.

Not only that, I later went over some of the other suggestions again, and with a couple of them, I find myself gravitating more toward them then I had at first. Miracles three and four.

Would it have been great if I'd arrived at this situation 20 years ago? Absolutely. Too bad it wasn't going to happen.
Interesting thread. A reminder that you can 'drum' things into a person all you like, but if they are not in the right place to receive it, you may as well not bother. I can think of many many such situations along my own path. But once I was in the right place at the right time in my own development--whoosh---in it all went, like ducks to water. Whereas previously, ballet dancers in treacle!!
I personally don't think it matters how long it takes. If it takes 20 years, so be it. The journey is what matters perhaps. The searching and the waiting, rather than the answer or the solution.
And yes I agree, small miracles or insights, can happen anywhere, anytime, if you're ripe to receive them. Ditto, revisiting something that was previously unappealing or unpalatable.

But I disagree I think with this

'Would it have been great if I'd arrived at this situation 20 years ago? Absolutely. Too bad it wasn't going to happen.'

For the reasons stated above re your journey. Thought provoking--thank you.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
Thought provoking--thank you.
And to you as well; thank you.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #26
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For sure some piobaireachd urlars sound something like attractive song-melodies, while others seem incoherent as you put it, strings of notes that don't have the sort of shape that songs usually have.

I just listened to MacGregor's Salute (played by R Brown) and it's sort of in the middle, not as song-like and melodious as some, but not as repetitious and meandering as some.

Have you listened to piobaireachd sung, rather than played? It's fascinating to me how different they are when sung, for example the singers put in vibrato, note-bending, and dynamics none of which are present when you hear the same people play the same tunes on the pipes. To me piobaireachd sounds more musical and makes more sense when sung (heresy, I presume).

In any case, here are a couple which I find attractive and melodious YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAbgQHLz_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmStEFguik

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-19-2017 at 07:07 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #27
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
For sure some piobaireachd urlars ... Have you listened to piobaireachd sung, rather than played? It's fascinating ... To me piobaireachd sounds more musical and makes more sense when sung (heresy, I presume)...
Brilliant! And no worries on "heresy" (as far as I'm concerned anyway), after all, I'm specifically looking for opinions here ... whether I agree with them or not, I value the perspectives, and variance thereof.

Those are both VERY nice indeed. McSwan of Roaig in particular, but I really, really like both of those you'd sent. Thank you!

You're quite right ... some really are just more melodic than others. I've been starting to see this more and more. And I find myself starting to appreciate a wider array than I once had; but with some others, I don't know if I'll ever grow to the extent where I'll relish them fully. Time will tell, I suppose.

And yes, I've heard -some- piobaireachd sung as canntaireachd here and there. Some of the instructors I had when I was younger would do this with the classes. You're right, it does feel different in a number of ways when sung.

It's funny, I didn't appreciate this in class when I was young. But now, when a student is haven't trouble playing a tune, I've taken to having the student try and sing or hum the tune, then play, sing/him, then play ... etc. With a few students, they feel it's extremely weird, and even belittling in some way, but then it almost invariably ends up helping.

I'm going to look into canntaireachd again before long ... afterall, I've always been a firm believer that we should be, in effect, singing through our pipes.

Thanks for the insight and the help! Cheers!

Last edited by Pppiper; 01-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #28
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

I'm going to look into canntaireachd again before long ... afterall, I've always been a firm believer that we should be, in effect, singing through our pipes.

Thanks for the insight and the help! Cheers!
You might find Allan MacDonald an easy means by which to get into the idea of "singing on the pipes". His pibroch performances are extremely accessible, and probably the most authentic you will hear (outside of canntaireachd on Tobar an Dualchais).

Piobaireachd can be extremely off-putting, until you understand that there is usually a Gaelic song behind the tune on the score. You just have to dig it out.

A lament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCRbURorYE8

A gathering tune: https://youtu.be/BAxeKEZSJ6c

Last edited by moderntraditional; 01-19-2017 at 12:13 PM.
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
Pppiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntraditional View Post
You might find Allan MacDonald an easy means by which to get into the idea of "singing on the pipes". His pibroch performances are extremely accessible, and probably the most authentic you will hear (outside of canntaireachd on Tobar an Dualchais).

Piobaireachd can be extremely off-putting, until you understand that there is usually a Gaelic song behind the tune on the score. You just have to dig it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCRbURorYE8

This is great, thank you!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #30
Dougall
Forum Member

Back to your original question, The Piob which most sounds like The MacGregors Gathering, I think, is "The Black Wedders White Tail". You can listen to it on the Piob Soc website. The ground is not so close but when you listen to the variations you will find a remarkable similarity in rhythm structure and melody. Hope you like it.
Dougall is offline   Reply With Quote