Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default 1828 Prize Pipe - who bought it?

Two days ago an antique bagpipe was sold on auction in England. A forum member sent me pictures of this set and its silver prize shield which, though rubbed and very worn, was still legible enough: the set was offered in 1828 by the Highland Society of Perth as first prize to Angus Cameron. Jeannie Campbell sent me a newspaper cutting dated october 2nd 1828 which gives detailed info on the competition: Angus was from Rannoch, and most probably the same person who won the prize pipe in Edinburgh in 1794.

The set is in very good condition considering its age, cocuswood, ivory-mounted but with horn ferrules to the stocks, a rather common feature at the time when the pipes were made. I have an identical contemporary set (in horrible condition) stamped A. MacDougall/Perth on the original chanter. The 1828 pipe is most certainly an Allan MacDougall, and it too still retains the original chanter : I have no information on the stamp but the shape of the bulb is definitely consistent with A. MacDougall's. There is a second chanter which looks like either a Donald MacDonald or an early Alexander Glen. It does make sense that a reputable maker like Allan was commissioned by the local Highland Society.

I would like to get in touch with the new owner and ask for detailed measurements ad pictures of all parts, which would be very welcome for the reconstruction of my pipe the bass of which has been brutally messed around with in the past. I have to rely on the specs of a slightly later MacDougall/Perth pipe in my keeping made by Allan's son John. The tenors are identical but the bass drone joints are different compared to those of the 1828 set.

Both Allan MacDougall pipes are interesting because their PJ mounts are larger and chunkier than on any other pipe from this early period, though very flat. Also, the tuning chambers are unusually long/deep and account for a rich and deep sound. These pipes certainly have a lesson to tell, I hope that pipemaker Pierre Blanchet, who is in charge of the restoration of my pipe, will consider a reproduction.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
STEF C
Forum Regular

Default Re: 1828 Prize Pipe - who bought it?

Hi Andreas,

Do you have any pictures of the 1828 Prize Pipes.

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing.

Stefan
STEF C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: 1828 Prize Pipe - who bought it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEF C View Post
Hi Andreas,

Do you have any pictures of the 1828 Prize Pipes.

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing.

Stefan
Yes, take a look

https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auctio...t&imagesOnly=N

A friend sent me close pictures of details, e.g. the prize shield, pj mounts, combing and beading, and the spare chanter. I can't post these because I don't know if they are copyrighted.