Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
salmunmousavi
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Help figuring out some tunes?

Hello everyone!

I've been flipping through a music book of mine and found some tunes I want to learn, but I've never heard any of them before so I don't know what they sound like. I can read music just fine, but have been having trouble figuring out the note values and beats as they fit into a time signature.

Can anybody help me figure this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
wheels2onfire

Default Re: Help figuring out some tunes?

Though it can be a tedious process, you can enter the music into something like CelticPipes, convert to ABC, or use a similar process, to produce something that can be played to give you an audio rendition of the music.
wheels2onfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
salmunmousavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2onfire View Post
Though it can be a tedious process, you can enter the music into something like CelticPipes, convert to ABC, or use a similar process, to produce something that can be played to give you an audio rendition of the music.

That's a good tip. Would you happen to know if CelticPipes is available for Mac? I'm new to all this, and am kind of a Luddite when it comes to this computer stuff.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Michael New
Super Mod

Celtic Pipes works very well with Mac.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
wheels2onfire

Check out http://www.celticpipes.net/download.html for the Mac OS X version.
wheels2onfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmunmousavi View Post
I can read music just fine, but have been having trouble figuring out the note values and beats as they fit into a time signature.
So your problem is figuring out note values and beats, not not knowing what it sounds like.

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th PDFs linked on this page tell you everything you need to know about rhythm, and the internet is stuffed full of examples and tutorials and apps to help you learn.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
codart
Forum Regular

one thing that really helped me to learn to sight read:

Get a book like scots guards - scan through and randomly select a tune - take a look at the time signature - lets say its a 3/4 now think of a 3/4 you know and sing it or play it slowly and tap feet to beat - for example Green Hills - this will get the 3/4 rhythm in your head then whilst still tapping the same beat play the first bar or two of the tune on your page - you will find it comes really quickly.

You will be surprised how many times you accidentally find a tune that you loved to listen to but never knew what it was called.

best of luck
codart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
salmunmousavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by codart View Post
one thing that really helped me to learn to sight read:

Get a book like scots guards - scan through and randomly select a tune - take a look at the time signature - lets say its a 3/4 now think of a 3/4 you know and sing it or play it slowly and tap feet to beat - for example Green Hills - this will get the 3/4 rhythm in your head then whilst still tapping the same beat play the first bar or two of the tune on your page - you will find it comes really quickly.

You will be surprised how many times you accidentally find a tune that you loved to listen to but never knew what it was called.

best of luck

The book I have (which is one of my favorites) is Seaforth Highlanders, so I will definitely implement that technique when reading that one. I think the hardest time signature for me to wrap my head around is 9/8. I can play Battle of the Somme just fine, but only because I have heard it played on albums before and can hear the note values as they apply to the time signatures and individual measures. But playing any other tune in 9/8 has proven very difficult.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
salmunmousavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
So your problem is figuring out note values and beats, not not knowing what it sounds like.

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th PDFs linked on this page tell you everything you need to know about rhythm, and the internet is stuffed full of examples and tutorials and apps to help you learn.

This is a fantastic compilation. Thank you!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Celtic Pipes is, indeed, available for Mac. It's pretty great, too. I'd give out my stamp of approval, if I had such a stamp to give...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote