Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #31
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tenor Drone all of a sudden won't tune

I didn't need tools in the two cases where this was particularly bad. They were "pairs" of small-tongued reeds where, after calibration to the strength of my chanter reed, the difference in effective tongue length was readily visible.

The other, slightly less critical, case was a carbon fiber reed, where the tongues were about a quarter-inch different in length to achieve equal cutoff pressure. I was able to alter one reed tongue to achieve a workable match.

I generally gauge the quality of match between the two tenor drone reeds by comparing the reeds to one another after calibrating them. With Ezee-type reeds, I shouldn't see any difference whatsoever in the effective length of the tongues. With carbon fiber reeds, one tongue is usually a hair's breadth different from the other, as are the standing joint bores of my two tenor drones.

The most critical test is in how they perform in a bagpipe, and that's what I'm concerned about. My observations were prompted by poor performance.

Last edited by MichiganGaidar; 09-23-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Clarity.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #32
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post
I didn't need tools in the two cases where this was particularly bad. They were "pairs" of small-tongued reeds where, after calibration to the strength of my chanter reed, the difference in effective tongue length was readily visible.

The other, slightly less critical, case was a carbon fiber reed, where the tongues were about a quarter-inch different in length to achieve equal cutoff pressure. I was able to alter one reed tongue to achieve a workable match.

I generally gauge the quality of match between the two tenor drone reeds by comparing the reeds to one another after calibrating them. With Ezee-type reeds, I shouldn't see any difference whatsoever in the effective length of the tongues. With carbon fiber reeds, one tongue is usually a hair's breadth different from the other, as are the standing joint bores of my two tenor drones.

The most critical test is in how they perform in a bagpipe, and that's what I'm concerned about. My observations were prompted by poor performance.

So how are you isolating the variables to the tenor drone reeds as opposed to differences in tenor drone bores?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #33
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Two ways:

1. Switch the reed from drone to drone.

2. Calibrate for cutoff pressure, and see if the two drones drift together. If not, there's a mismatch.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #34
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post
Two ways:

1. Switch the reed from drone to drone.

2. Calibrate for cutoff pressure, and see if the two drones drift together. If not, there's a mismatch.

OK, I think your method makes sense. It makes you wonder how modern synthetic drone reeds are manufactured for them to be unbalanced.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #35
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Design - It's easy to sand/carve/mold a reed bed to a specified angle (a la Crozier and, well, all of Bulgaria), and easy to verify that it is within specs. The design used by Murray Henderson in his carbon fiber reeds is even better: There's a "cliff" in the reed bed - very easy to make consistently, and very easy to verify that a given unit is within specs. Both of these designs allow the manufacturer to verify that everything is made to spec, and the only remaining issues would be the resiliency of the bridle and the consistency of the tongues.

Getting a consistently-curved tongue is more difficult: case in point, both of my mega-problem sets, and the set that I made workable, had curved, rather than flat, tongues. How did I fix the one set? By bending the less aggressively curved tongue to match the other, and checking it in my pipes until it was right.