Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #41
piperdoc
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Your Experience with Acetyl (Plastic) Highland Bagpipes

Bottom Line: Wouldn't be without a stand of delrin pipes.

I play twenty year-old Shepherd S2s (my first pipes), 1 year-old Dunbar P1s (military bell, brass ferrules, caps), and 19 year-old Crisler delrin (full imitation silver) pipes. All pipes are original to me.
1. The Dunbar and Crisler pipes bailed me out on a number of occasions. After a twenty years the Shepherds had to have some minor work done on them and the poly pipes were there so that band rehearsals and gigs were not missed.
2. Tonally the Crisler pipes are more mellow that the Dunbars with the same drone reeds (Kinnaird, Ezee Drone). The bore is everything and reeding is critical.
3. At age 63 I started competing (Grade 4Sr) - placed third in piobaireachd ground only with Shepherds at one event; placed third at another event with Dunbars in 2/4 march (Shepherds were in the shop). Comments from a nearby band on the Dunbars were very, very favorable!
4. No stand of pipes is completely maintenance free. The delrin pipes require less attention, but need attention none-the-less (reeds, bag, hemping, cleaning etc)
5. I have run across folks who look down their noses at delrin pipes, especially when Dunbar was the primary purveyor of delrin pipes. Nearly every major pipe maker offers a delrin line of pipes. CITES has made our world a bit more interesting and there are several articles in the piping literature about the increasing interest in delrin and alternative materials.
6. Locky has excellent articles and comparisons.

Will not be without a stand of delrin pipes.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #42
piperdoc

Forgot to mention...Shepherds, Dunbars and Crislers all within 4-5 ounces in weight with same reeds, bags and chanters.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #43
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoc View Post
Bottom Line: Wouldn't be without a stand of delrin pipes.

Will not be without a stand of delrin pipes.
I'm in the same camp. My first set of pipes was a set of Dunbar P1s - as plain as plain can be. I bought a set of McCallums in 2007, funded (in part) by the sale of those pipes. Cut to 2018. My regular solo pipes are older Hendersons, my band pipes (depending on which band) are the McCallums or a set of Naills. Earlier this year I bought a used set of P1s, because I keep getting cold/bad-weather gig requests. I've managed to come full-circle!
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #44
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

Not sure which my McCallum pipes are made of ..but they’re quite satisfactory.
They are Acetyl. If you compare the feel to a Delrin practice chanter it feels different. I don't think it's a big deal, but it's different.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #45
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Delrin is a particular type of (branded) plastic which is a member of the family of plastics called acetal. Acetyl is something different entirely.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #46
Piparoo

Add John Walsh to the list of those who use polypenco for plastic GHBs. I just asked them to confirm the material and will be receiving my first set from them in the next week or so. Very much looking forward to it.
Piparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #47
psychodonald

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post, your comments, ideas and suggestions were of great value to me. I did a lot of reading and research as a direct result of your contributions to my initial post. This forum is just excellent.

I recently received my McCallum AP4 Acetyl pipes. From order to delivery, was 19 weeks- a little longer than expected, but well worth the wait in my estimation; usual expected delivery time is between 10 to 12 weeks (from the Pipers Hut). I got all of the "extras" that were offered including the Canmore Hybrid Bag. I spent a lot of time examining the pipes and they exceeded my expectations considerably. I own other bagpipes one set is ABW, the other set is Ebony (I think) and I used those pipes as sort of a reference point; the workmanship on the McCallum's is excellent. I did make some small alterations on the McCallum's, I removed the non waxed hemp and re-hemped with waxed hemp and added moisture control. Put in a new chanter reed and I'm currently breaking in the reeds and Canmore Bag.

I really like the sound, they do sound different from my other two sets, but that is because each pipe is from a different manufacturer and are set up differently. Never the less, the sound is beautiful and that is not only my opinion, but the opinion of my pipe teacher, who is a PM with years and years of experience.

As you might have guessed by now, I'm well satisfied with my new purchase. I will provide an update as I get everything broken in and adjusted properly.

Once again, thanks to all who have responded to my initial post. Your comments and the time you took to provide those comments/suggestions were helpful beyond belief. Thank you.

Last edited by psychodonald; 09-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
psychodonald is offline   Reply With Quote