Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
eben.yonnetti
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Comparing smallpipes

Hello all,

I spend a lot of time in urban areas where I don't always have access to practice space for the highland pipes and am getting a bit tired of only being able to play my practice chanter in my apartment. I am looking to buy a set of smallpipes, but wanted first to see what folks out there thought about the different options (Fred Morrsion, Walsh, Shepherd, etc.).

Not really looking for product endorsements, but what more experienced players have found to be some of the advantages and disadvantages of different pipes.

Cheers and thanks very much!
eben.yonnetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Comparing smallpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eben.yonnetti View Post
Hello all,

I spend a lot of time in urban areas where I don't always have access to practice space for the highland pipes and am getting a bit tired of only being able to play my practice chanter in my apartment. I am looking to buy a set of smallpipes, but wanted first to see what folks out there thought about the different options (Fred Morrsion, Walsh, Shepherd, etc.).

Not really looking for product endorsements, but what more experienced players have found to be some of the advantages and disadvantages of different pipes.

Cheers and thanks very much!
Of the makes you mentioned IMHO I think it comes down to the amount of $ you want to spend. SSP’ are SSP’s Poly or abw will make a small difference in price and sound ....consider how much you’ll really be playing...and ‘on stage’.

I had a set of abw Shepherd’s about 10 years ago...sold off after several years due to little/less playing. Good quality...reasonable cost.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Lochie
Forum Regular

I have 4 sets of bellows blown pipes from very high end makers, and I love them all.
But I find I often grab my Walsh mouthblown smallpipes for quick practice sessions and the odd pub session. Just convenient, and dead reliable with the plastic reeds, which sound just fine.
I'm in Canada where our dry winters are brutal on cane smallpipe reeds...
I chose key of A so I can play easily with other musicians too...
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochie View Post
I have 4 sets of bellows blown pipes from very high end makers, and I love them all.
But I find I often grab my Walsh mouthblown smallpipes for quick practice sessions and the odd pub session. Just convenient, and dead reliable with the plastic reeds, which sound just fine.
I chose key of A so I can play easily with other musicians too...

Good to know.....I’ve been considering to buy a replacement set for the Shepherd’s I sold off way back. Walsh was my top contender for purchase.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
eben.yonnetti
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochie View Post
Just convenient, and dead reliable with the plastic reeds, which sound just fine.
Thanks for the heads up - I was actually a bit concerned about the sounds quality of the plastic reeds, but it good to hear that you don't seem to notice any difference.

Have you had any issues with the built-in drone reeds at all? I'm used to being able to try different sets on my highland pipes and wasn't sure how the built-in system might limit options later on.

Thanks agian!
eben.yonnetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Are you looking for a practice instrument to complement your highland pipe playing, or are you looking for a performance instrument for a smallpiper? They really are fundamentally different things.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Lochie
Forum Regular

I've had no issues with any of the reeds wearing out, and the set is many years old, with lots of mileage. Walsh does sell spare tongues, I may buy some and toss them in my maintenance kit just in case....
Another advantage currently is the low Canadian dollar....its killing me when I buy stuff from the States.....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
daj
Forum Regular

bellows blown the reeds will last even longer
daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #9
bwbees0
Forum Member

Hi Eben,

I chose a set of bellows blown pipes in 'A' that can be easily converted from small pipes to borderpipes. They are a lot of fun to play, and I really enjoy playing those indoors. Personally I find myself playing the small pipes more than the border pipes, that is just what it is as a personal preference. The border pipes play just fine and I do hit those once in a while for fun as well.

You might consider small pipes that can play in A or D (or other keys as well). There are many makers that make smallpipes that come with extra drones and chanters. Just play the drones you want to with the chanter in the key you want and have fun.

All the best,

Ben
bwbees0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #10
pbutts
Forum Member

Similar situation here. Cold, dry winters are definitely an issue. With the Walsh A2000s, can you add the bellows later or is the blowpipe stock different?
pbutts is offline   Reply With Quote