Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
piobaire76
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Solo chanter pitch

What is the current chanter pitch of professional and top amateur soloists currently? Or another way to ask: how high is too high --and-- how low is too low?
“These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equalled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig.”
~Alfred Hitchcock, 1899-1980
piobaire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Solo chanter pitch

My instructor plays at 480 and seems on par with the other players at the recent pro competition in Batesville, AR. One of the players (the winner) is active on this board and I'll let him answer for his chanter setting if he so desires.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I think that really depends on you. I've read and talked to a number of people (including local instructors and adjudicator/judges here) about pitch now, and there seems to be a general understanding that as long as everything is in tune with itself, pitch isn't that big of an issue.

Although a new piper, I've practiced and played at all pitches from A466 to A480 as I have a Kron Medalist, a McCallum McC2 and a Shepherd Orchestral. Soon will have Jim McGillivray's "The Gael" at A470 when my MacLellan set arrives. Overall I continually find myself preferring a lower pitch, around or less than A475Hz. I believe ultimately I'm fairly certain that I'll be sticking with an ABW McC2 for it's sweetness and excellent projection when I compete, but I'm still planning on trying the MacLellan solo chanter and a McCallum A466 to be sure.
William McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think this would be dependent on the level of the person playing and the type of set up they have. Within a few bars the judges ears are attuned (is that a word?) to the pitch and if it is a well balance sound and a nice bagpipe you will get credit for it.

At the top level I think that 476ish is the aim, although often some are lower. I would try not to go above 484ish. These are all pretty flexible and depend of weather, chanter, reeds etc. Too high and the bagpipe tends to lose its brilliance, too low and you stand possibly to have a psychological disadvantage in at least the first few minutes of playing.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Jimmy Bell
Forum Regular

It has far more to do with balance of the chanter/ reed combo rather than the pitch itself. The same chanter will pitch a little differently with a reed change. In IL I would be looking for 478-482 depending on the weather and the bag setup.

Jimmy
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

I took a reading from Brian Donaldson a couple of years ago. Brian widnae ken a kilohertz from kilobycycle and widnae care iether. He was bang on B flat though! That has to tell us somthing.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Beck View Post
I took a reading from Brian Donaldson a couple of years ago. Brian widnae ken a kilohertz from kilobycycle and widnae care iether. He was bang on B flat though! That has to tell us somthing.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that equate to in hz? Can't be as low as 466.16 Hz, could it? I usually play around 472-4ish, but I guess I am old school these days.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

That's brilliant. I'd love to see more competitors with a spot on bflat
sound winning. The pendulum has swung too far.
Good on you Brian.

Last edited by magsevenband; 05-26-2010 at 09:54 PM.
magsevenband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
That's brilliant. I'd love to see more competitors with a spot on bflat
sound winning. -magsevenband
I agree; or even in that ballpark up to 470Hz instead of 480Hz.
William McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

B flat is 466 where concert A would be 440 Brian hasn't budged his pitch. He does not need to raise it to be noticed.