Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
Gregor Burton
Forum Silver Medal

Default MacGregor's Salute

Jim,

I have a copy of your World's Greatest Pipers Album. On it you play the Piobaireachd listed as "The MacGregor's Salute." It contains what sound like Birls? and not of the usually Piobaireachd variety. Could you elaborate on this, and perhaps tell me where I could find this tune? Thanks.
Gregor Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
Jim McGillivray

Default Re: MacGregor's Salute

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregor Burton:
Jim,

I have a copy of your World's Greatest Pipers Album. On it you play the Piobaireachd listed as "The MacGregor's Salute." It contains what sound like Birls? and not of the usually Piobaireachd variety. Could you elaborate on this, and perhaps tell me where I could find this tune? Thanks.
They're just big fat birls with a G gracenote in front of them. Some folks play these as big, open double hits.

The tune is in Book 10 of the Piob'd Society, though some of the notes in the Thumb doubling are reversed. Check it against the recording if you learn it.

Cheers,
Jim
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
Gregor Burton
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks Jim.

I really enjoy the tune, but I had never heard a Piobaireachd with normalish birls. Thanks for your prompt replay.

Cheers,

Gregor
Gregor Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Tim
Forum Regular

As this was one of the tunes I am working on, I decided to add my question here, rather than start a new thread.

I've not heard Jim's recording of this tune. Does he play a crunluath a mach?

My teacher has taught me to play a crunluath a mach and a torluath a mach (for balance) for this tune. It sounds good, so that is how I plan to learn it. Anybody else play it this way?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

I play the tune with a crunluath a mach and don't play the torluath a mach. This is how I would play it in competition. As I recall you can add a torluath a mach variation, but I wasn't taught the tune that way by Jimmy McIntosh. I haven't played the tune yet in compeition, but I have been thinking about it.

I like the tune and it is very easy to phrase IMHO. Also, you can't get an easier tune to memorize.

Hope this helps,
Curt
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Barry Shears

There's a very good recording of MacGregor's Salute played by Capt. John MacLellan. It was recorded on a European label over 20 years ago and includes examples of West Highland fiddling, (Yuck!!), Gaelic singing (Fabulous) , Milling songs and a few reels played by Calum Johnson of Barra.( sorry, but the album is up in the attic someplace). The recording liner notes, actually a 6-8 page booklet if I remember correctly, has brief background info on the music and performers and is written in both French and English. Does anyone else have this recording?

MacLellan plays a clipped birl in the ground and Var 1&2 in addition to both a Taorluath a Mach and a Crunluath a mach. I learned the tune off the LP but when I took lessons from Capt. Andrew Pitkeathly in Edinburgh in 1978 he had me open the birls up( to give two excho beats on Low A, sometimes called a spread birl) and drop the a mach variations. He creditied Robert Reid with bringing the A mach variations into fashion.
Some pipers play Var 3 and the thumb variation a bit differently.Most pipers today play the High A movement as a doubling , whereas the old style is to play it as a slur, that is to say, a quick High G note with a thumb gracenote- up the the High A.
The older style works quite well in MacGregor's Salute, IMO. What do other players think?
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Shears:
Andrew Pitkeathly in Edinburgh in 1978 he had me open the birls up( to give two excho beats on Low A, sometimes called a spread birl) and drop the a mach variations. He creditied Robert Reid with bringing the A mach variations into fashion.

What do other players think?
Barry
I just wanted to mention if you are thinking of using this tune in competition, the EUSPBA requires an A mach variation. Not sure about other organizations. That is not to say one way is better than the other if you are going to play it for your or anyone elses pleasure.

Enjoy,
Curt
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:34 AM   #8
albe
Forum Regular

the macgregor's salute (great!)

- has a lot of a-mach notes
- phrase simmmetry is not broken by a-mach notes
- is not a lament

i think that the CaM variation is very well in place here, i cannot find any motivation for not to play it...apart for someone's legitimate adversion for it (or teacher's preference, or technical obstacles).
as for TaM, it sounds good as well, but this variation has been until now a little bit "confined" in a very little box of tunes because, but this is pure conjecture, it gaves a definite "bold", "aggressive" taste to the whole tune.
These tastes are the way i feel this tune so I i decided to add the TaM to it, following Robert Reid's advice which I read on the footnote of PS book 10's setting.
I also heard this tune first played - beautifully, as the whole CD - by master Jim MacGillivray; he do not plays TaM, the tune rendering being superb nonetheless.

albe
albe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #9
ionasdad
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Is the Var III in the Piobaireachd Society book 10 WRONG with theme notes played backward or is this an accepted way to play this. Have not heard anyone play it this way??
ionasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
piobaire76
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I was just listening to a canntaireachd recording of Robert Nicol last night (John MacDonald Settings) and he sang the thumb as written from the PS Collection, i.e. with the melody inverted AC , AB versus CA , BA throughout the variation.
“These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equalled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig.”
~Alfred Hitchcock, 1899-1980
piobaire76 is offline   Reply With Quote