Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Gr8_Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Want Estimated Value on a Set of Pipes

Evan MacKay put the pipes at $8500USD plus
Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
Gr8_Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Want Estimated Value on a Set of Pipe

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. FYI, I bought the set back in 1990 for $3000USD from Jimmy MacIntosh. I had the chance to buy a 1900 S&I set of Lawrie's from him for $4000USD. But I couldn't come up with the extra $1000USD. I've never regretted buying the Robbies. As a matter of fact I've never seen another full silver set.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #13
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Want Estimated Value on a Set of Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Piper View Post
Evan MacKay put the pipes at $8500USD plus
Come on! Now Evan's gonna have a bigger head after you put him in the same league as Ringo and JM! (Kidding, Evan! )

Granted, I've never known anyone else to go through as many sets of pipes as him. I swear he had a different set at band every week for a few months.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Piper View Post
I have a set of 1933 Robertson full silver mounted in the Runic design. They are ABW. All original. No defects or cracks. No restoration or repairs. Has original stamped silver soled chanter. Ivory hemp stops. The set was purchased some years back from Jimmy MacIntosh. I believe that I am the third owner of this set. I understand it was made special order for a wealthy business man. Id like some feedback as to the value of such a set. All feed back appreciated. Thanks
Now that you have a good idea of value, I think we all need to see some pics!

Matt
Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
A full silver set hallmarked to 1904 with regimental history (A&S) sold for 6000 a few days ago. Not perfect, maker unknown, but a very rare set with a pedigree bonus.
If it's the set I think it is, it's pedigree is very well documented, being the set played by the Pipe Major of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders up until that band ceased to exist.

I assume the set was owned by the regiment, or the battalion, or perhaps by the officers of the battalion. Similarly the Pipe Major of the 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders played a full silver set owned by the regiment.