Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tone Protector

You can ďrechargeĒ the packs by soaking in distilled water. It isnít fast, but does work. My ToneProtector needs a new pack roughly once every three months.

For me, I found that corking the ToneProtector when it is not being used helps prevent the packs from drying out. BUT, donít ding your reed on the cork when you try to replace the ToneProtector on the chanter.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
I heard a few new owners say that the humidity pack(??)...what ever it is that makes the device work....has to replaced often and it's expensive.

What are people saying now? Everyone seems to love it but for me the cost is expensive and then keeping up with the guts of it costs more money. I use the Piper's Pal and it's been working great (I bought my own supply of gel beads at the greenhouse and activated charcoal at the fish store to keep it 'happy' and functional).

Jenni
I've been a long-time fan of Piper's Pal. However, I find Tone Protector to be better in several ways. I also like not having the rod, which can get lost easily, and some lose their tips. Also, with Piper's Pal, I would often forget to check it for drying out. The Tone Protector lets me know if it's maintaining the proper humidity.

As for th packs, the life certainly depends upon one's locale, how often they play, etc. In the NW, especially this time of year, I expect the packs to last a year or more; but I guess I'll know if we get a long, hot, dry summer! I don't find the packs expensive; and I believe I've seen the same ones at cigar stores for about the same price as Jori's.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Also, with Piper's Pal, I would often forget to check it for drying out. The Tone Protector lets me know if it's maintaining the proper humidity.
The new version of the Piper's Pal reed cap, the Piper's Pal Alert, has a gauge on top that provides a visual indicator of when to add water. The original Piper's Pal can be upgraded to the Alert version so that you don't have to buy a whole new device. The Alert cap with the gauge replaces the section holding the moisture gel and the activated charcoal; you keep the black body section and the rod.

I'm not arguing here for one device or the other. I have used the Piper's Pal for the past 14-15 years and I currently use both a Piper's Pal Alert and a Tone Protector on my two primary chanters and both do a great job of keeping my reeds moisturized and ready to play.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianpiper View Post
The new version of the Piper's Pal reed cap, the Piper's Pal Alert, has a gauge on top that provides a visual indicator of when to add water. The original Piper's Pal can be upgraded to the Alert version so that you don't have to buy a whole new device. The Alert cap with the gauge replaces the section holding the moisture gel and the activated charcoal; you keep the black body section and the rod.
Thanks, acadianpiper. I clearly did not know that. Much appreciated.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 PM   #15
SÝren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

I have 2 Toneprotectors for sale, if anybody wants to try them out.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Have been using the Tone Protectors since last year, I am a fan.

Regarding the desiccant packs, I found 10-packs of them on Amazon for around $12USD so it's not too bad to replace them as needed. (I seem to get about 6-months life out of them here in New York, fwiw)

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #17
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I looked into the Tone Protector but decided against it for several reasons. One, the hygrometer on top is a very inaccurate and there is no way (that I'm aware of) to calibrate it. Two, the reed is still open to the air which slowly defeats the purpose and dries out the Boveda. Three, in my case it won't fit and would be ineffective with my split stock either way.

It will still give you great benefits but it's expensive for what it is and it will cost you more money in the long run. Here's an example of the cheap hygrometers-

Below is what I've put together in the last few days. All up this is about 20% less expensive than the Tone Protector and maintains the ABW moisture content, all of my spare reeds' moisture content and of course the playing reeds. It allows me to keep my split stock ends attached so the playing reeds don't get damaged, and it provides a good spot for the chanters to protect them inside my case (I see a lot of people with their chanters and caps just rolling around the bottom of their case).

I will probably cut out some foam cradles for the chanters to rest in just in case. The 'Acu-Rite' hygrometer can be manually calibrated with a Boveda and bag overnight so I know it is correct now. Once closed, this protective case humidor seems to stay around 75%-80% which I'm loving.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #18
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I looked into the Tone Protector but decided against it ......... the reed is still open to the air which slowly defeats the purpose and dries out the Boveda.

It will still give you great benefits.......

Thatís quite a contradiction.

Either way, your system will also work. However, with the total lack of air-flow, be careful if you leave the chanters inside the case unopened for more than a few days as youíre more likely to grow nasties due to the complete lack of air movement. This is one reason why I donít mind that the chanter is not totally sealed by the ToneProtector.

I used a similar box to store spare chanter reeds and ended up with scary looking mould on them.

As for the discrepancy in the hygrometers, I donít mind. Mine typically says 84% when a new pack is installed. What I look for is when it drops much lower than around 74% as it indicates a pack that is drying out. Other than that, the actual numbers donít worry me: 84%, 80%, or whatever, itís that change in reported RH that I am looking for.

For my chanter, I use a length of PVC pipe plus ToneProtector to store my chanter. I get less humidity-loss and better chanter protection. Iíll post some photos tomorrow.

Charlie
Old 02-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Thatís quite a contradiction.
I can see why it could be taken that way but I just meant that it does its job and it's a good product, but it has flaws and it's expensive for what it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Either way, your system will also work. However, with the total lack of air-flow, be careful if you leave the chanters inside the case unopened for more than a few days as youíre more likely to grow nasties due to the complete lack of air movement. This is one reason why I donít mind that the chanter is not totally sealed by the ToneProtector.

I used a similar box to store spare chanter reeds and ended up with scary looking mould on them.

As for the discrepancy in the hygrometers, I donít mind. Mine typically says 84% when a new pack is installed. What I look for is when it drops much lower than around 74% as it indicates a pack that is drying out. Other than that, the actual numbers donít worry me: 84%, 80%, or whatever, itís that change in reported RH that I am looking for.

For my chanter, I use a length of PVC pipe plus ToneProtector to store my chanter. I get less humidity-loss and better chanter protection. Iíll post some photos tomorrow.

Charlie
Good points. I'll keep a close eye on my chanter reeds and get a feel for the ideal conditions to keep the nasties away.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if the hygrometer is accurate because all you're looking for is big swings. Interestingly, I just went to Jori's site to look over the Tone Protector again and see that he now offers a split stock with a TP that has the matching opening.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #20
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Alright, hereís what I made. The pipe was a couple bucks.