Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Selbie Drone Screws

Does anyone know the size/dimensions, threading… of the nylon tuning screws in Selbie drone reeds? I have some older ones with screws cut short for lower tuning I would like to refurbish/return to original design.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Selbie Drone Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Does anyone know the size/dimensions, threading… of the nylon tuning screws in Selbie drone reeds? I have some older ones with screws cut short for lower tuning I would like to refurbish/return to original design.
I forget why I needed to ,but to retro fit a set of EZ pitch screws some years ago I went to an Ace hardware store and found similar albeit they were black metal.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not offhand, but if you measure the external diameters and look up a chart of metric thread sizes it should be pretty easy to match up. Can't *guarantee* it's metric but 95% chance it is these days.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
DapperDan
Forum Regular

A hardware store or good auto parts store like Napa should have a "thread counter". Can take one in and have them check it.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=Klondike Waldo;1344696

...older ones with screws cut short for lower tuning I would like to refurbish/return to original design.

[/QUOTE]

Cutting the screws ‘short’ would be no diff than backing them out to the maximum...and still be able to screw them back in. Actually using hollow ..unaltered ...pitch screws would provide even lower ( longer) tuning.
Alternatively,..a plug of beeswax,Blu-Tac or a disc of eg Gorilla Tape across the open end would preserve the screws no worries.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:47 AM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Cutting the screws ‘short’ would be no diff than backing them out to the maximum...and still be able to screw them back in. Actually using hollow ..unaltered ...pitch screws would provide even lower ( longer) tuning.
Alternatively,..a plug of beeswax,Blu-Tac or a disc of eg Gorilla Tape across the open end would preserve the screws no worries.
Thanks, but that horse is out of the barn already I just want to restore these reeds to like-new condition.