Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Tapered/Flared Stocks

Do any of you have a set of pipes with a tapered/flared set of stocks, or have you ever taken your pipes to a maker/refurbisher to have your stocks modified? If so to any of these questions, what are your experiences?

I've wondered about taking mine in sometime in the future, so I wanted to hear your thoughts.

I recall being told that the late great Physicist, Dr. John Kidd was very much interested by the phenomenon modal locking, and would modify the drone stocks.

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-14-2020 at 07:54 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
tanks hobyman
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tapered/Flared Stocks

Dr. Kidd was an Acoustical Physicist and lectured for many years at either Cambridge or Oxford (can't remember which). He maintained that Modal locking began at the bottom end of the stocks. In order for the sound to flow unimpeded throughout the drone, he maintained that the flared end of a tapered stock, as well as, the drone pins needed to be rounded off. Prior to having my pipes adjusted by Dr. Kidd, tuning was a nightmare - could never get my pipes to play steady. His efforts turned my mediocre set into a well-balanced, fun-to-play instrument that took about 2-3 minutes to lock in and stayed that way until they got too wet. For me (a dry blower) somewhere in the vicinity of 30-40 minutes +. After drying out, the drones would frequently come right back in tune within a few minutes. Just amazing! Having said all of this, I would counsel that adding just a set of flared/tapered stocks, while certainly helpful, would not achieve the same results as effected by Dr. Kidd. It is only part of the solution as he utilized oscilloscopes, amongst other tools, to adjust the drones. In my opinion, Dr. Kidd's efforts allowed me to present a much more sophisticated and steady instrument that would perform for a greater period of time. Hope this helps.
tanks hobyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

I have a set of Kidderized Lawries. Surplus to requirements. Though they look like they have been through a war, their tone is quite nice and in my opinion they are quite steady. While I think Dr. Kidd was on to something, I think some of the modifications are more invasive than they needed to be.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Justin Howland
Forum Member

This is not something I'm familiar with, so thank you to the OP for initiating the conversation. I am curious if there is more information to be read about this somewhere?

Years ago there was an adjustment made to my bass drone stock, which now sounds like it may have been "Kidderized." I've never had a problem with it locking, but certainly haven't since. I'd love to have more information about this research, and will also try to find out exactly what changes were made to my pipe.

Cheers!
Justin Howland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Howland View Post
This is not something I'm familiar with, so thank you to the OP for initiating the conversation. I am curious if there is more information to be read about this somewhere?

Years ago there was an adjustment made to my bass drone stock, which now sounds like it may have been "Kidderized." I've never had a problem with it locking, but certainly haven't since. I'd love to have more information about this research, and will also try to find out exactly what changes were made to my pipe.

Cheers!
Tapered stock bores was supposed a Robert Reid pipes trait. I had a ‘40’s set for about 25 years but never checked this detail ..anyone know?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

This question comes up every now and again and I'm not sure there's ever been any agreement on outcomes.

I personally think Dr. Kidd was onto something just like I think Mark Lee was onto something with individualized drone reeds based on measurements and mathematics, but it needed more fleshing out. Unless someone else decides to do the calcs (which aren't hard but tedious) and take the torch, Dr Kidd passed away several years ago and Mark Lee I think became tired of fighting old beliefs, it won't be possible.

I know some makers do taper their stocks from the factory but not like Kidd's modifications. As an engineer in training I believe these modifications could work once accurate measurements are taken and the physics worked out. Again, I don't believe they are overly difficult calculations but very tedious.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Tapered stock bores was supposed a Robert Reid pipes trait. I had a ‘40’s set for about 25 years but never checked this detail ..anyone know?
I heard Robert Reid himself had long bass stocks for all his drones. Interesting, I wonder why he did it...

————————————————

I also recall being told here that a regular unmodified set of drones could take at-least half an hour to “lock in”.

I wonder if modal locking would still work with a MCS in, I doubt it though.

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-15-2020 at 08:52 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #8
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Do a search on the forum. Tapering and flaring stocks, and Reid's long stock, have been discussed several times in the past. Lots of interesting information.

Cheers!
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
This question comes up every now and again and I'm not sure there's ever been any agreement on outcomes.

I personally think Dr. Kidd was onto something just like I think Mark Lee was onto something with individualized drone reeds based on measurements and mathematics, but it needed more fleshing out. Unless someone else decides to do the calcs (which aren't hard but tedious) and take the torch, Dr Kidd passed away several years ago and Mark Lee I think became tired of fighting old beliefs, it won't be possible.

I know some makers do taper their stocks from the factory but not like Kidd's modifications. As an engineer in training I believe these modifications could work once accurate measurements are taken and the physics worked out. Again, I don't believe they are overly difficult calculations but very tedious.

I see MG Reeds offer personalized drone reeds for certain bagpipes. I wouldn’t be surprised if more drone reed makers will start doing this, but we shall see I guess.