Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
kiltrocker
Forum Member

Default Flat high A

Not sure this is the right place for this (it is music related) . I was wondering how people feel about the flat highA , I"ve heard and still hear a lot of pipers playing with a flat high A . Your thoughts are welcome . Thanks
Old 04-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: flat high A

What do you think? Why?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I try to tune mine a few Hz flat. I like the sound and given that I cannot get a Roddy MacLeod vibrato, to me, it gives a pleasant effect against the drones.

But.... I make it only slightly flat
Old 04-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
kiltrocker
Forum Member

no really in love with it , to me flat is flat , just sounds untuned , but I also consider tone and pitch as two separate things .
Old 04-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I like it in tune. I like it when it disappears into the drones. A little flat to get some vibrato when Iím feeling cheeky. Just a little flat when Iím being lazy.

Frankly, I think the whole flat high A thing is the result of choosing the lesser of two evils: flat high A or sharp high G.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I like it in tune. I like it when it disappears into the drones. A little flat to get some vibrato when Iím feeling cheeky. Just a little flat when Iím being lazy.

Frankly, I think the whole flat high A thing is the result of choosing the lesser of two evils: flat high A or sharp high G.

Iíd have said that at one time, but seem to have found a combo that works nicely for me here in dry Denver: Shepherd solo chanter with MacLellan reeds.

Maybe, Iíll try tuning high A non-flat and see if I like it better or not.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

My comment was in regard to past recordings with ugly flat high As. I do not compromise. If both can’t be in tune, I don’t use that particular reed.

I also think there are those who don’t like the high A to disappear and therefore set it flat so it stands out. But, I do not understand these people.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
A little flat to get some vibrato
Exactly! That really hit me when I heard some very good pipers play vibrato on their practice chanters only on high A.

Ditto when pipers sing canntaireachd, doing vibrato only on that note.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
My comment was in regard to past recordings with ugly flat high As. I do not compromise. If both canít be in tune, I donít use that particular reed.

I also think there are those who donít like the high A to disappear and therefore set it flat so it stands out. But, I do not understand these people.
Agreed. In tune and slightly disappearing.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

Default Re: Flat high A

I might be misinterpreting semantics and grasping at straws here but to me blatant flatness is always a mistake- imo good 'vibrato' or 'crow' or whatever you wanna call it comes from what you might call 'slightly underblown', too much and you get that raspy obnoxiousness though so it's a thin line in there. Keep in mind though I don't use a tuner or chanter tape so I'm not sure about the exact mathematical relationships between the notes here, I just break in the reed and poke/lick/shave/squeeze/set til it sounds good to me. I have a really nice chanter though so I can get away with it, at least in my own mind haha!
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote