Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Default Re: Ridge or straight cut, which to you prefer?

Interesting comments. I also prefer a straight cut.

Yet isn't it funny though that one of the biggest selling reeds winning competitions is a ridge-cut?
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-02-2020, 03:09 AM   #12
Chris Knife
Forum Silver Medal

Straight cut (moulded) for me. Troy is a great reed and one difficult to surpass, at least in my piping hut--and for many of the reasons listed in the thread. That said, for those they work for, I've heard some great pipes with a ridge cut.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #13
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
Interesting comments. I also prefer a straight cut.

Yet isn't it funny though that one of the biggest selling reeds winning competitions is a ridge-cut?

Band competitions or solo?
Old 05-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Band competitions or solo?
This is a good point. I have little doubt that for bands it is ridge cut but for solo I'd bet it's at least 50/50 if not weighted toward moulded.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Iím personally liking the plug and play, and ease of tuning of ridge cut reeds, along with their bright ringing tone. Iím gonna need new flooring

Not that I dislike moulded reeds, but Iím just enjoying the benefits of the Megarity that Iím playing.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=DNorwood;1345359

[/QUOTE]

Fair point. Made more complex in that each of the two biggies are diametrically opposed iirc.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Mmm, well, is the Shepherd a ridge cut or a moulded reed? At a certain point it gets a bit theological.

Ridge cut reeds offer clear advantages for bands and that's why bands play them. Are there any grade 1 bands who don't?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #18
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Hmmm, those G1 reeds look to be a hybrid, awesome reeds, just a bit stiff.

Thanks to the reed wrangler I can play much more variety of reeds, my lip muscles would give out under a minute unless I was blowing a nose-blower reed and using an Airstream mouthpiece, even then I wouldnít last long with a conventional mouthpiece, it was pathetic

That all being said, I wouldnít mind giving G1 reeds a shot again, may just need some dipping
Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
I've never played a ridge cut in over 40 years...I find them chirpy, lacking in depth, color and warmth...they gained popularity with bands around here starting in the late 80's because they produced a clearer high A in competition, something that was elusive at the time due to the inconsistent reeds and the ghastly chanters of the day..I never cared much for the sound of the bands that played them but they were winning so fair play to them...I don't see a good reason to play them these days as reeds and chanters are so much better and proper intonation is easily achievable with non ridge cuts, without the chirpiness...I can always tell if someone is playing a ridge cut.
You obviously aren't in a position to judge the quality of ridge cuts if you haven't played them in 40 years. The majority out there now are excellent and easily worked.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
You obviously aren't in a position to judge the quality of ridge cuts if you haven't played them in 40 years. The majority out there now are excellent and easily worked.
And you obviously don't understand the concept of artistic and aesthetic criticism.