Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Default Older MCC2 chanter playing flat?

I have a McCallum MCC2 blackwood chanter which I purchased shortly after they were introduced in 2007. I'm planning to get back into the solos with it after focusing on band for the last 6 years or so and not playing it much.

It's just flat as a pancake. Every reed I've tried in it is running around 470, and that's with reed shoved in and lots of tape on the top hand. (Tried Husk, MacPhee, and Gilmour.) My understanding is that the chanter is designed to run around 476. Do chanters change over time? Have reeds changed in the last few years? I've always been happy with the tone. I just want it to play sharper so I can take some tape off and balance my drone reeds better. I'm wondering if it would help to just get a new MCC2? -- Thanks.
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Older MCC2 chanter playing flat?

My experience with a few is they tune right around 472 or 473.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Same experience here. I played one for several years and it was usually around 474hz but can be higher. I would suggest something like a G1 reed in it, I think you'd find it resting up around 478hz. FWIW Troy reeds are absolutely brilliant in that chanter.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:20 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Mine is quite happy around 476-478 with a MacPhee - I suspect if it's gone way flat at that age the throat may have closed up a little and asking MacCallum to ream the throat back to size might be helpful.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:54 AM   #5
DNorwood
Forum Regular

I am grabbing a pint and headed over to the Trading Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
I'm wondering if it would help to just get a new MCC2? -- Thanks.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

I have a similar situation with an ayrfire chanter I bought when they first came out. Canít get above 473 usually no matter what reed. I am considering getting a g1 chanter, but really the sound is pretty good regardless of the pitch, but for competition is seems to be a disadvantage to tune so low.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post

....McCallum MCC2 blackwood chanter which I purchased shortly after they were introduced in 2007.
I just want it to play sharper so I can take some tape off and balance my drone reeds better. I'm wondering if it would help to just get a new MCC2? -- Thanks.
The throat bench spec is 5/32”....you can easily check this with the shaft (not cutting) end of a finger held twist drill bit. If it doesn’t smoothly slide right in ..the throat has closed up a tich. Reverse the bit and carefully straight-on give it a twist or two to bring it back to spec. The throat itself is a short straight ‘tube’. Exactly as a pipemaker would do.

A few wraps of cloth tape on the bit shaft will help give a comfortable grip between the thumb and index fingers.

I’ve found G1 Platinum and McPhee reeds do the job.

If tweaking with the drill bit...ensure to go straight in ...there is, of course, a slight taper at the bottom of the reed seat and at the top end of the chanter bore that you don't want to upset.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

Jon

My MCC2 has always tuned at about Low A = 470 with Macphee reeds. I've had it about 4 years. So I don't think yours has changed over time. Personally I would not risk wrecking a perfectly good chanter by any amateur throat reaming. Of course you may have much deeper pockets than me, or better woodwork skills .
I also tried some old Chesney reeds I have. They were a bit sharper, but not drastically so.

Neil
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The throat bench spec is 5/32Ē.

A 5/32" drill shank went through the throat easily.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

In my experience with modifying chanter throats, increasing the ID will flatten high G and high A and sharpen F#. Other than having disturbed the octave, I’m not sure it will change the fundamental pitch of a chanter.

However, most throats are also larger than 5/32, but smaller than 11/64, as best as I can tell, so somewhere between 4.0-4.3 mm.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote