Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #21
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Perceptions on horse hair

Greetings to All,

I, too, have one... but it is only worn quite
sparingly... and only for those quite rare
occasions... when nothing else will do!!

It is (and I don't know if there is a proper
term for this) what I would describe as a
"full" sporran... in that it doesn't have that
teensy little leather "patch" on the back...
which holds practically nothing... but rather...
it has full width and depth...and into which
one may place beaucoup... bits... that one
may need during an engagement. :)

Confession time... I never did really like it...
and especially... on looong parades... :( ...
but uniform is uniform... and there we were.

I have three of the more regular dark leather
sporrans... and any of those... are always my
first call.

Trusting that All may have the kit that they like!!, :)

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 05-11-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #22
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Here's how I view the whole what sporran to wear problem.

Leather drawstring coin purse style pouch: Ren Fair and recreation events only (I don't own one)

Black leather typical sporran: day to day functions, typically non piping related.

Seal skin and chrome: most piping functions and kilted events.

Horsehair: full dress and regimental events such as mess dinners.

Not only do certain bands, units, and regiments have uniform standards but events typically have a matching dress 'code'

There's no rule against civilians wearing them, as far as I know, but if you're wearing a t shirt and busking on a corner do you want to wear an horsehair? No.

I keep mine for Prince Charlie and doublet events. Super simple and fancy. It's a black watch horse hair with the golden cantle so it looks sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #23
Hagrid
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: perceptions on horse hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
. They are not considered exclusively for military use, but they are rarely seen outside of the military. 40 or 50 years ago, it would have been different.
Apologies if this had already been suggested, but could this be a money saving exercise? Looking st the price of number ones over an argyle jacket or even just a seal skin sporran over a horsehair, there is a huge difference.
Hagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Fascinating photos from pancelticpiper, but of course we are looking at the high end of fashion.
Actually the photos were showing ordinary Highland dress in the Victorian period, rough tweed jackets, spats for the field, and so forth. These are not the aristocracy but ordinary people. Look at how tattered the kilt of the top man is (in my first post back on Page 1).

The exception of course is the photo of the gent in the absurdly ornate Victorian evening dress, but for every photo showing that there are several photos showing much more plain evening dress, without accessories.

One thing that's overlooked by people today, when looking at Victorian Highland Dress, is how ordinary and plain many of the jackets were. It was very common for men to wear the same tweed jacket with trousers and kilt. Also one sees completely plain jackets with ordinary dark buttons worn with the full suite of accessories. Nowadays we would wear dedicated Highland jackets with silver buttons etc.

Some more ordinary Scots in the Highland Dress the Victorians actually wore, so different than what we imagine

Quote:
There are many remnants of sporrans in Scottish museums that are plain, simple leather bags, dating from the late 1600's
I didn't dwell on these because the topic was horsehair sporrans, which didn't evolve to their modern from until around the 1830s.

Quote:
The uniforms worn by the Highland regiments of the British army at this time have been described as parodies of actual Highland wear, much in the same way that the sequin and rhinestone bedecked country and western singer bears little resemblance to the actual 18th century frontier cowboy.
Yes I think exactly the same process happened in both cultures, where an originally utilitarian costume, once it stopped being used as everyday clothes, became fancy dress.

The exact parallel can be seen between a Highland dirk and scabbard, and a Western revolver and its holster and gun-belt. The metal bits become silver-plated and engraved, jewels are added, etc.

Many people don't realise that the cowboy hats, boots, and holsters seen in films didn't exist in the 19th century, but were 20th century inventions.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 05-24-2020 at 06:31 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #25
Adam Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Actually the photos were showing ordinary Highland dress in the Victorian period, rough tweed jackets, spats for the field, and so forth. These are not the aristocracy but ordinary people. Look at how tattered the kilt of the top man is (in my first post back on Page 1).
As someone who is descended from ordinary rural highlanders and has photos of them dating back to the 1870's, I respectfully have to disagree. Apart from time spent in Highland regiments, none of them that I know of wore the kilt as everyday clothing, bar two exceptions. My great grandfather, who was in service to the Lord Lyon's estate in Perthshire, and, going further back beyond the days of photographs, his grandfather, Alasdair McAlasdair, aka Alexander Sanders/Sanderson, who was a servant to Alexander Ranaldson MacDonell, the 15th chief of Glengarry, and who was "beaten about the head and body soundly with a cane", by him. Both of these men had their clothing supplied by their employers.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #26
Milly
Forum Silver Medal

Interestingly the only button done up on most jackets was the top one.
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #27
Toxpert
Forum Regular

The sheriffmuir style jacket with vest....
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote