Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
piper Q
Forum Gold Medal

Default Replacement drone reed bridles?

I know more than a few of us have run into issue with the rubber bridles either tearing or splitting on our drone reeds.

Aside from purchasing a new set of drone reeds due to a bad bridle, what have you you tried which as worked well?

I'm going to try using automotive O rings an a Balance Tone, where the bridle is torn and has developed a buzz. I Am curious to see how this will work.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Replacement drone reed bridles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post
I know more than a few of us have run into issue with the rubber bridles either tearing or splitting on our drone reeds.

Aside from purchasing a new set of drone reeds due to a bad bridle, what have you you tried which as worked well?

I'm going to try using automotive O rings an a Balance Tone, where the bridle is torn and has developed a buzz. I Am curious to see how this will work.
O ring(s) can work ok....but in my experience..try to use a few rings that will provide a width similar to the original bridle...and small enough to provide similar compression on the tongue. So on, like, an Ez drone reed you might use 3-4 thin O rings..but very tight ( get small diameter) ..vs on a e.g. kinnaird reed using a single fat O ring. On a ‘fat’ reed body I’d say rule of thumb is an O ring about 1/3 smaller dia. A bit of trial & error.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
fredolin
Forum Silver Medal

Hi, I got very good results in using a piece of silicone rubber tube just cut in the size of the original bridal. Worked on all types of drone reeds I "repaired" this way, such as

- Ezeedrone reeds
- Balance Tone reeds
- Henderson Harmonic drone reeds
I would say it works on any type of reeds with rubber bridle.
I think it is better than a o ring because the pressure on the reed is more adjustable as the surface of the silicone rubber grommet is not as punctual

I also got very nice results on the old cane reeds with silicone bridle: very stable in comparison to hemp bridle, just give it a try
fredolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredolin View Post
Hi, I got very good results in using a piece of silicone rubber tube just cut in the size of the original bridal. Worked on all types of drone reeds I "repaired" this way, such as

- Ezeedrone reeds
- Balance Tone reeds
- Henderson Harmonic drone reeds
I would say it works on any type of reeds with rubber bridle.
I think it is better than a o ring because the pressure on the reed is more adjustable as the surface of the silicone rubber grommet is not as punctual

I also got very nice results on the old cane reeds with silicone bridle: very stable in comparison to hemp bridle, just give it a try
How have you determined the diameter of the bridle? Trial and error, rules of thumb, etc.?
Jack
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
fredolin
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
How have you determined the diameter of the bridle? Trial and error, rules of thumb, etc.?
Jack
I have used several different tubes of silicone rubber, about 5 mm to 1 cm in inner diameter. Choose a diameter a bit closer than the reed body, it will work.
The reed will behave as new, as far as the tongue is ok :-)
fredolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredolin View Post
I have used several different tubes of silicone rubber, about 5 mm to 1 cm in inner diameter. Choose a diameter a bit closer than the reed body, it will work.
The reed will behave as new, as far as the tongue is ok :-)
This is a good idea...getting the right size is difficult. Some years ago I replaced the bridles on a popular brand reed with what I thought was a good fit O ring ....it didn’t work well at all...so I reached out to the maker who sent me the original type bridles.
They were about half the i.d. of the failed O ring I initially tried. I really worked up a sweat getting the OEM replacements on....while the maker effortlessly uses a 4 fingered plier-like stretcher to expand their small bridle and slip it on the body.

The tool they use is actually one meant to ‘humanely’ castrate ewe’s etc. by slipping on a very small and tight ‘bridle’ where appropriate.
Methinks it would certainly take one’s breath away if not raise a sweat.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
This is a good idea...getting the right size is difficult. Some years ago I replaced the bridles on a popular brand reed with what I thought was a good fit O ring ....it didn’t work well at all...so I reached out to the maker who sent me the original type bridles.
They were about half the i.d. of the failed O ring I initially tried. I really worked up a sweat getting the OEM replacements on....while the maker effortlessly uses a 4 fingered plier-like stretcher to expand their small bridle and slip it on the body.

The tool they use is actually one meant to ‘humanely’ castrate ewe’s etc. by slipping on a very small and tight ‘bridle’ where appropriate.
Methinks it would certainly take one’s breath away if not raise a sweat.

I would assume that they spent very little time castrating the Ewes =. I have done this on Rams, however. I suppose you may have been confused by "Ca the Ewes" the old classic tune.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Garry
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post
I would assume that they spent very little time castrating the Ewes =. I have done this on Rams, however. I suppose you may have been confused by "Ca the Ewes" the old classic tune.
Short for "Call the Ewes"
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post

Right., ....ex-post-facto rams...... ouch.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post

I'm sure you can find the right o-ring if you search enough. Try and contact the manufacturer of the reeds though, too. Some may at least be able to tell you proper dimensions, etc, and shorten the search, and some may just send you a few replacements (for a nominal fee) or offer to repair the reeds. I've been through both scenarios over the years. Worth an ask, anyway.

Best,
Matt

edit - oops, sorry duplicate suggestion!

Last edited by Matt Weasner; 12-09-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: I don't read el gaitero's posts apparently!
Matt Weasner is offline   Reply With Quote