Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Tone Protector

There was a thread, some time ago, regarding the Tone Protector from Jori Chisholm. Now that there's been more time with it, I'm curious of thoughts regarding the product. I will start by saying that I used the Piper's Pal for decades, but finally switched to the Tone Protector...and I love it. What are your thoughts, critiques, suggestions, etc.? Thanks, Michael
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tone Protector

Have a tone protector cap and reed case and I'm pretty happy with them. Particularly the case.

The cap loses a lot of humidity if it's not plugged.

But the case has been at 75% and full of reeds since Christmas. Yeah. That's amazing stability.

Also picked up some of his reeds although I have yet to try one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I like mine and have used it for over a year. It certainly helps prevent the reed drying between playing sessions, especially here in dry Colorado.

There have been some people on here who have totally pooh-poohed the concept. I think they are wrong and pushing their own agenda. I keep meaning to gather some data on the device to support my experience with the product.

Charlie
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
I like mine and have used it for over a year. It certainly helps prevent the reed drying between playing sessions, especially here in dry Colorado.

There have been some people on here who have totally pooh-poohed the concept. I think they are wrong and pushing their own agenda. I keep meaning to gather some data on the device to support my experience with the product.

Charlie
Yes; I've had a couple in our band, and more friends in another competition band pooh-pooh it, too. I found Piper's Pal to extend the life of what are now expensive reeds; and Tone Protector to be even better. You have a longer experience with TP, however, which is good to know.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

I too live in a dry climate and I want to smack the people who are Pooh poohing the TP...

Aside from easier break in and warm up the benefits of this level of moisture regulation is undeniable...

Jori's reeds are $25 US each... Plus my collection of G1 Platinum I have a pretty penny invested in reeds and by maintaining humidity I'm prolonging their lifespan by exponential degrees.

When reeds are in a stable environment they don't have a chance to warp or become brittle and crack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #6
OHCalman
Forum Member

I was one of the cynics before trying it out, and I have to say I’m completely converted! Even bought another one for the band chanter last week.
In the 45°C Australian summer the TP keeps my reeds from drying out and becoming shrill or unstable.

If the fact that your reeds are more stable, your warm-up and tuning time is shorter, and new reeds take less time to break in isn’t enough to convince you to try the TP, Jori’s service is amazing and he’s very easy to reach should you have any questions.

Anyone pooh-poohing the Tone Protector clearly hasn’t tried it!
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:04 AM   #7
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

I had the cap with the clear top and only had problems with it. The TP on the other hand has been great! I no longer have the issues I had with the clear top cap. My time to tuning and playing has been reduced, and the reeds are lasting longer as well. I now have one for each chanter.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #8
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

I'm using this sort of reed protector made for me by Ben Mulhearn from Ayrshire Bagpipes. Made from African Blackwood .
Working very nice, chanter reeds are very steady and no more problems with too wet reeds giving troublesome F's.

https://ibb.co/7t5kwfH

Last edited by Søren E. Larsen; 02-04-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Søren E. Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Our band did a bulk order when they first came out and I really like the stability I get from my chanter with it. I wish I had bought a second to use for my solo chanter.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I heard a few new owners say that the humidity pack(??)...what ever it is that makes the device work....has to replaced often and it's expensive.

What are people saying now? Everyone seems to love it but for me the cost is expensive and then keeping up with the guts of it costs more money. I use the Piper's Pal and it's been working great (I bought my own supply of gel beads at the greenhouse and activated charcoal at the fish store to keep it 'happy' and functional).

Jenni