Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Default G1 chanter for solo

Hello,
Anyone use any iteration of the G1 chanter for a solo chanter? I know the original chanter has smaller holes but also that it is very loud from what Iíve heard. I have tried a Sinclair Chanter at one time but felt the sound overpowering but would like the idea of a G1 Chanter for a solo chanter because it may tune very easily and work well with the new reeds and have comfortable holes and hole spacing. I see that they have a more mellow chanter or called the g1 gold does anyone have any experience with that? Any and all comments welcome.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Default Re: G1 chanter for solo

No personal anecdote to share, but I've only heard positive things about G1 chanters. Best of luck in your search.

- Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Curious what this sounds like. The other G1 chanters are fairly bright and tack sharp. If the spacing is close to a Shepherd Mk3 or a Colin Kyo and the sound is a bit fuller it could be a serious winner.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Curious what this sounds like. The other G1 chanters are fairly bright and tack sharp. If the spacing is close to a Shepherd Mk3 or a Colin Kyo and the sound is a bit fuller it could be a serious winner.
The Shepherd Mk3 and CK chanters have very different spacings. I use the latter for solo stuff and used to use the former for band and felt like the spread on the bottom hand was quite wide on the Shepherd compared to the Colin Kyo.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

I don't think it matters what you use so much as how you can make it sound.

You can buy the best solo chanter in the world but if you can't set it then what's the point.

I've used my g1 in solos and had good feedback and there's video of Scott Wallace from G1, using his blackwood Platinum in solo at a very high level.

I've also won contests at a low level with a basic band chanter and reed. So there's that.

Good tone and fingers will impress a judge more than a chanter at lower levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
The Shepherd Mk3 and CK chanters have very different spacings. I use the latter for solo stuff and used to use the former for band and felt like the spread on the bottom hand was quite wide on the Shepherd compared to the Colin Kyo.
Jim if you're able to would you be willing to post a side by side picture for us?

ABW McC2, Peter Henderson, Shepherd Mk3. D holes lined up with a pencil-

My favorite chanter is currently a Peter Henderson, but its spacing is more traditional compared to my Mk3. It's very subtle in photos especially with my phone's lens distortion but the LA is a couple mm higher up on the Mk3. I find going between it and the Peter Henderson that I sometimes miss birls, and strikes on the PH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
I don't think it matters what you use so much as how you can make it sound.

You can buy the best solo chanter in the world but if you can't set it then what's the point.

I've used my g1 in solos and had good feedback and there's video of Scott Wallace from G1, using his blackwood Platinum in solo at a very high level.

I've also won contests at a low level with a basic band chanter and reed. So there's that.

Good tone and fingers will impress a judge more than a chanter at lower levels.
Totally agreed, but I'm not sure that is quite the issue here. If you're not comfortable while playing and/or you don't get lost in the sound of your own chanter then it's pretty moot. No such thing as perfect but getting the best comfort vs sound you that you like will lead to rewarding contests.

Ralph if it helps I found a few quality videos of the G1 Gold in action if you haven't come across these already (I've been really curious about the Gole also). The links are sadly posted only to Facebook as far as I've seen:

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Old 04-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks William for this info. You are correct in the fact that I am looking for comfort, easy to tune and also to play as opposed to trying to get a competition advantage. thank you for these links
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Unfortunately I no longer have the Shepherd chanter. Our band switched to Gandy chanters a few years ago.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's a photo with the Henderson - Shepherd Mk3 - Colin Kyo

Higher resolution available here:
https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/word...loads/2019/07/
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Just thought I'd chime in here. I used a G1 chanter for a time a few years ago and loved it. Been actually thinking of purchasing one in blackwood soon. Any chanter can be set up to play louder or quieter with the right reed; I played a variety of reeds in mine and recall it being super versitile. Elliot reeds in particular gave a very solid solo sound without being overpowering and the piob G was fantastic. Can't go wrong.
A/D
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote