Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Bag fullness

Ever since fixing my moisture issue with the new DriFlo Iíve been working on my blowing and pressure.

I have noticed that my drones and chanter are pretty much rock steady if I donít blow the bag up to 100% capacity and always keep a firm pressure with my arm, feathering it in the bag as I take a breath and obviously blowing my arm out.

Apologies if this may be a redundant question or post, but do you ever blow your bag out completely, or to the point where it is just about full? Is this a common practice?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Bag fullness.

Yep, I always keep my bag fully inflated, it's easier to keep it steady that way. I use the analogy of dribbling a basket ball footfall, you can't do it if it's under inflated, same with the pipes.

cheers
Andrew

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
I have noticed that my drones and chanter are pretty much rock steady if I donít blow the bag up to 100% capacity and always keep a firm pressure with my arm, feathering it in the bag as I take a breath and obviously blowing my arm out.
I'm presuming you mean you don't blow it up like a balloon? That the bag is filled, but that you aren't trying to blow it up and burst the seams?

How you have described, constant arm pressure, is how you achieve steady blowing. Your arm is doing the work, not so much your lungs. Your arm will be under constant tension, less when blowing and more when breathing obviously, but still under tension regulating the pressure. If you are doing it right, you'll likely get a sore shoulder before your lips go.

I video record myself most practices as I can tell when I'm tired, or don't know the tune well enough as my blowing technique suffers. I can see it and hear it. So I then have a solid target for what to improve on.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Like a rock is an appropriate guideline and ,of course, no leaks ...at zipper,seam,collars,walls...from anywhere including flapper valve joints ,from
under drone caps...anywhere + efficient drone reed settings.

Worse case,..you might play a slightly stronger reed,..not massively...just 1-2Ē

Rock hard rocks.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post

You're doing it exactly right. The arm is the engine that controls bag pressure, and if your bag is fully inflated, your arm can't contribute.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
I'm presuming you mean you don't blow it up like a balloon? That the bag is filled, but that you aren't trying to blow it up and burst the seams?

How you have described, constant arm pressure, is how you achieve steady blowing. Your arm is doing the work, not so much your lungs.
You are correct, not blowing up to the point where it is like a bloated balloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
You're doing it exactly right. The arm is the engine that controls bag pressure, and if your bag is fully inflated, your arm can't contribute.

Great!
Old 04-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I would just add that you should do what feels most comfortable while maintaining constant pressure.

I think it's generally accepted that a full bag is the most efficient but some find it more comfortable to 'overfill' the bag so that the bag itself is providing some of the pressure instead of the arm. If that's the case and it works for you then I say go for it. I personally prefer to take as long of breaths as I can so that there is a slower, longer cadence to the squeezing/blowing cycle but everyone is different.

In the end it does not matter as long as you're consistent, comfortable, and can maintain that comfort throughout a full playing session.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

maybe your bag is too big...
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I find my most stable pressure is with the bag fully inflated as much as possible. My playing is better too. It is harder to exert pressure the closer your arm is to your body so a fully inflated bag allows me to keep a more relaxed shoulder and arm since itís easier to squeeze, and therefore my playing is more relaxed.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Lewis View Post
maybe your bag is too big...
Well FWIW I've considered getting a smaller one. So Probably.