Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Installing Canmore Hybrid

I gave in and ordered a Canmore Hybrid after some ďexperimentationĒ, should be coming tomorrow or the day after.

I just want to ask how your experience was if you have installed the bag yourself. (Removing the Bannatyne was an absolute nightmare )

I saw two videos, one with Craig Munro at Hendersonís pulling the stocks through with no oil, and then another video from Lothian bagpipe supply, pushing the stocks through and then pulling them, he used soapy water.

Did you use any lubricant, or did you install them the same that Mr.Munro did? (FWIW I have some bore oil) How difficult was it to install say, compared to a Bannatyne?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Installing Canmore Hybrid.

I special ordered my Canmore Hybrid without grommets and I tied the drones directly to the bag. That was a lot of work as the inside of the bag was a slippery snake and getting things just right took effort. I ended up putting some of that self seal rubber pressurized tape around the stock grooves to get things to remain in place till I could get a couple of good wraps around.

In hind sight, I think next time I will try the grommets and cut time and frustration attaching the bag. My past experience with grommets has been that I don't like how the drones sit on my shoulder and ultimately it was where the grommet glue disintegrated and the bag became leaky with very little warning. Grommets have changed since the early days and I think I will be willing to give them a try in the future.

Love my Canmore Hybrid bag though....now that it's tied in and the frustration has ebbed a bit.

Am interested in your experience with the grommets. Think I would try a wee bit of dish soap myself...

Jenni
Old 05-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post

Did you use any lubricant, or did you install them the same that Mr.Munro did? (FWIW I have some bore oil) How difficult was it to install say, compared to a Bannatyne?

Thanks
Removing the old stocks from an old collared syn bag is always the hardest part.
After that, installing the new stocks takes about 20 min. The collared Bannatyne or Canmore will be equally easy/difficult...depending on the diameter of your stocks...but ..it’s no big deal...don’t sweat it.

Use soapy water lubricant..just a small squirt of the liquid soap and a dash of water in a shot glass.

Where to spend the most time is on the blowstick stock after all the others are popped in ....to get the right back-tilt so your mouthpiece will remain right at your lips if letting it go...no fly-away.
usually trial and error..2-3 tries ..or lucky with the first...then tape it well in place. The backside of the stock will be lower in the collar ( ~ 1 full bead and maybe 1-2 combing lines; the back side of the stock groove will not be ‘clicked’ into the collar bottom).
Use a piece of painters tape on the bag and a pen marker to draw a reference line for the lay of the stock ( and ultimately the blowstick) straight towards your lips....keeping your head erect...looking straight forward.
Just like every piper needs to know how to tie in a (his) leather bag....likewise how to fit a syn bag..and to properly set a blowstick... imho. It starts with the first time.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Sure, Iíll share once I install it

I should note on my first set of pipes, the McCallums, they came with a green Canmore, I got another bag for it as I wanted a heftier feel under my arm, it was a Bannatyne Hybrid, those old blue beasts. I found the Canmore bag surprisingly easy to remove, but I found the Bannatyne ridiculously difficult, almost impossible, to install and remove.

I put the bass stock on the wrong grommet and had to take it out to put it in the correct one. it was definitely a lot more difficult to remove than the Canmore. I had to get my dad to help me, and even he had trouble!

This was many years ago so I might not remember everything correctly.

Iím putting the Canmore on my second set of pipes which are ABW Dunbarís, which came with a light tan Bannatyne Hybrid. That was also a headache to remove, not good for oneís Heart I bet!

All that being said, I am hoping that installing the Canmore is easier if any of my experience is to go by!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Removing the old stocks from an old collared syn bag is always the hardest part.
After that, installing the new stocks takes about 20 min. The collared Bannatyne or Canmore will be equally easy/difficult...depending on the diameter of your stocks...but ..itís no big deal...donít sweat it.

Use soapy water lubricant..just a small squirt of the liquid soap and a dash of water in a shot glass.
Relieved to know the hardest part is over
Old 05-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
Big Tone
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Installing Canmore Hybrid

One thing I did when putting on a Canmore was not to immediately add the self sealing tape. I blew them for a week and let the stocks 'settle' in place.
The middle one was exactly as I installed it, straight. The outer tenor and bass stocks were at an angle. My thinking was if the stocks moved to where they wanted to be the drones would sit better and the bag would be under less stress round the grommets.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
One thing I did when putting on a Canmore was not to immediately add the self sealing tape. I blew them for a week and let the stocks 'settle' in place.
The middle one was exactly as I installed it, straight. The outer tenor and bass stocks were at an angle. My thinking was if the stocks moved to where they wanted to be the drones would sit better and the bag would be under less stress round the grommets.

Great idea!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
DapperDan
Forum Regular

I put a Canmore hybrid bag on a set of blackwood Dunbars myself. I've since sold that set, but I found with the grommets that if you have a combed/beaded set it's a bit easier, but if you have plain turned you may need a little dish soap and elbow grease to get them in. I have plain turned set I play now which I put a bannatyne on, grommet situation is about the same. I just put a drop of dish soap in a little bowl of water, stir it around, and then wet my finger and run around the inside of the grommet. Just to give it something to slide on. Look inside the bag to make sure the bottom of the stock is flush with the bag. Once you get a stock in correctly, you'll be set. Try the blowpipe stock first.

I tied the chanter stock in with tie-in cord, the same way you would a drone stock (not the complicated chanter stock method) since I don't like the o-ring and hose clamp setup. Both bags were tight as a drum. Didn't need the chanter tape, but put it on anyway.

good luck, I think it's a great bag.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Thanks, should be coming this Wednesday or Thursday, good time to brush up with the PC
Old 06-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

UPDATE

It has arrived, and I installed it. I was actually as difficult as I expected, so, not too bad. I pushed the grommets on the stocks using a solid surface, my floor .

I installed it without any lubricant, only on the bass stock.

The most difficult part to install was the blowpipe stock as it is the smallest, but I managed to do it, the hard part was pushing the ferrule bead through the grommet too.

With all said and done I have yet to test it doe to noise pollution concerns, but I could update later.