Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
sturob
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Experience with Hamish Moore highlands...?

Hey there,

New to the forum, hello everyone!

I have been a GHB piper for longer than I care to admit. Tucked very far back in a closet, I rediscovered a full set of Hamish Moore highland pipes (A440) that I had not played in years. I'm getting the set ready for some play. I got them quite a long time ago, in the range of 15-20 years. The set needs a new bag but that's not the end of the world, and I had stored them well in a case with all the sticks well-padded. I believe it's silver and blackwood.

I have spent way too much time googling, and I can find nothing on these sets. I believe I found a picture of Fin cradling this model on the Colaisde na Gàidhlig website:

I realize Hamish has retired from pipe making, but I can't even find a cache of his old site with info on the set. Not that there's tons to know, I suppose . . . but anyone else have a set of these?

Stuart
sturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Experience with Hamish Moore highlands...?

Hit up Tim Gellaitry on Facebook. He has been making for the Moores for a wee while and might have some info.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, sturob,

Welcome to our mob... and... they look a fine set!!

Wishing you the best of Good Fortune with them!! :)

(And ain't it grand to re-discover such? Ain't it just!! :)

Regards,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 05-19-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

They are copies of a set of pipes called the "black set of Kintail", a historic set that happens to be pitched around modern A.

A quick google isn't very informative as it conflicts with the brand of the same name.

The same design was used for a quartet of instruments that were used to record an album called Seudan, led by Allan MacDonald, and I'd recommend getting your hands on a copy - I think the liner also has more info on the pipes as well.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
sturob

Yes! That rings a bunch of bells.

As soon as you mentioned the black set of Kintail, which was from the late 18th century if I remember right, it came rushing back.

Thank you!

I wonder how many of these there are...

Stuart
Old 05-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
They are copies of a set of pipes called the "black set of Kintail", a historic set that happens to be pitched around modern A.

A quick google isn't very informative as it conflicts with the brand of the same name.

The same design was used for a quartet of instruments that were used to record an album called Seudan, led by Allan MacDonald, and I'd recommend getting your hands on a copy - I think the liner also has more info on the pipes as well.
I'll second that recommendation, Brilliant music and very nice sounding instruments.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For those interested in reproductions of 18th century Highland pipes which are made from the original materials (local Scottish hardwoods and real horn mounts) there's Julian Goodacre in Peebles.

He also makes reproductions of the late 17th century/early 18th century Ian Dall chanter in the original Lignum Vitae.

https://goodbagpipes.com/index.php/m...ghland-bagpipe
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hamish Moore made both the "Black Kintail" A440 highlands as well as a more modern pitch set inspired by his old Hendersons IIRC.

I have a set of the A440s. The chanter is ridiculously easy to reed too A440, but I have little success with the drones. They have fairly small reed seats and, of course, a very different bore than "typical" bagpipes.

In addition to Seudan, Gordon Duncan played a set of the A440s on the album, "The Piper and the Maker"

The Henderson-type set is a marvelous set.

I'm not sure if Fin Moore makes either one now.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
sturob

Yes, that's been my experience as well. His smallpipes have pretty small reed seats as well, actually.

I've ordered some reeds from Chris Apps to get a new reed for the chanter. I do recall that I had much less trouble with the chanter than with the drones. I could get (years ago) Selbies to work OK but they tuned way too high.

Stuart
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Graineag
Forum Regular

Good luck getting them going again, Stuart.

Just a couple of weeks after starting on the chanter, I was lucky enough to hear Hamish play a house concert in the Santa Cruz mountains. I can hear that boxwood set of pipes of his ringing in my ears yet...

And if you ever decide to part with them, please do let me know.
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote