Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Smallpipes in other pitches besides A or D?

I know of Smallpipes in C, but have there ever been smallpipes in other pitches? For example, keyed in a pitch like F or G?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Smallpipes in other pitches besides A or D?

Yes, it's perfectly possible. Most keys aren't common for two reasons - A and D are most musically useful for trad musicians, followed closely by C, and secondly, the comfortable range in terms of fingering is about A to D. I could handle a G chanter, I'd think, but I doubt I could stretch much further. And D is already getting the fingers pretty close together.

Northumbrian pipes, which have the same internal design, do go much lower with the use of keys, and there have been low-pitched Northumbrian sets in nominal D that would I presume go down to a low low G.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Early on in the SSP development, it was unclear what key was going to predominate. Hamish Moore used to make a set that had chanters in A, Bb, C, and D with tuning beads on the drones to match. After a few years, things seemed to settle on A as the primary key with D as the secondary. However, C is, to my ears, perhaps the sweetest of the chanter keys.

I had one of the four chanter sets from Hamish as well as a C set from Michael Mac Harg. Brighde Chaimbeul presently plays a C set from Fin Moore.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 06-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have Banton SSP chanters in A, C and D. C definitely has the most pleasing sound to me, but I typically play the A chanter because it works most seamlessly with the other musicians I play with.

Bb used to be available from a number of makers. I never really understood why people would want it other than for playing with others on practice chanters. There are also a few of us that have modified the tuning of A chanters to play in G.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Interesting. Thanks for the answers.

I always wondered if it'd be possible to make smallpipes Higher than D, perhaps E flat, E, or F, I like those pitches.

But yes it seems the problem will be that the finger holes would be too close together.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

You could probably get the pitch a little higher than D without much more finger squeeze, by narrowing the bore, but that would likely negatively affect the volume and timbre.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
Lochie
Forum Regular

I saw a tiny set in an Edinburgh museum which were called the Montgomery pipes, a plaque on them indicated they were donated by Colonel Montgomery, presumably to one of his pipers who served with him in North America during what was known as the French & Indian Wars. Vintage 1757...
This is all by memory...
I have smallpipes in A, C and D.....and can barely play my D pipes since the holes are so close together....I have large hands.
The set in the museum was smaller than my D set, presumably E ?
Gorgeous instrument, doubt I could play it....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, the Montgomery pipes are E-ish. I've had a go on a reproduction, and it's manageable, but you can't really play in a standard GHB style if that's an issue.

(BTW, narrowing the bore flattens - think of the air as a spring - if you make the tube thinner it is less stiff and so vibrates slower).
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Yes, the Montgomery pipes are E-ish. I've had a go on a reproduction, and it's manageable, but you can't really play in a standard GHB style if that's an issue.

(BTW, narrowing the bore flattens - think of the air as a spring - if you make the tube thinner it is less stiff and so vibrates slower).
Oops. You are right Calum. The bore would have to be increased to raise the pitch.

Best regards,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Isn't the standard smallpipe pitch F?

They write the music in G, but it sounds in F.

When the NSP makers started making smallpipes geared to the Highland piper market they had to stretch the traditional F chanter down a third to D, which some of the makers were already doing. I used to have an NSP by Colin Ross in D.

Then they stretched it even further, down a sixth, to A.

But I think that the original home key of the bore and reed configuration is F.