Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-15-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
Charley Street
Forum Member

Default Drum Scores

Just out of curiosity.......are your drum scores written entirely by your lead drummer, or are 'oldies but goodies' utilized? I've written some of our more basic marches, but for the competition stuff, it runs the gamut(?) from Michael Hunter, to Reid Maxwell, to Gordon Parkes. Also, any opinion as to whether you should rewrite a score altogether, or just 'tweak' a classic. Just looking for general feedback/opinions.
Charley Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
Strathspey_Chick
Forum Member

Default Re: Drum Scores

My lead drummer writes it all.

He's a very talented guy.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
Bashful
Forum Regular

As far as I know, my lead drummer writes it all (and his son Cameron, who wrote an interesting 4/4 this year in our medley).

How he does it, I'll never know.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
jadog2
Forum Member

all of the above.

You can even listen to CDs/records and
pick the tasty stuff you like.
Then throw that stuff in your bag of tricks.

Our lead tip and his sister write our stuff
and its all different.
One of our sets had a diferent style for each tune.
Anything is possible.
jadog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
TimConlan
Forum Member

I just don't have the feel for it, but or old lead did write some stuff for us before he left. Also, we hire Andy White to write our competition stuff. For the other sets we play, I try and go through books or out on the Internet to see if anyone has anything of interest. The other side in my band also writes things, and he takes figures he sees in other scores and reuses them where they make sense for us.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

There's nothing wrong with playing a classic, just make sure that you play it very well. After all, the judges know the classics too and some of them even played them when the beatings were new.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:59 AM   #7
Stujrox
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

The only problem I found with playing other peoples scores is that they can stand out especially in a medley. At my previous band, we played a medley for Grade 3. I wrote the scores for the opening March, strathspey, reels and slow air but we played one written by the previous LD to finish. It stood out a mile (as several judges noticed!!)

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with playing other peoples scores, but just make sure they match your style of playing.

If I ever "borrowed" a score, I would try and incorporate phrases from our own stuff to try and make it blend it with the rest of the set.
Stujrox is offline   Reply With Quote