Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Financier
Forum Regular

Default Hello !!! I am competing here,,,,

ok,,so I was watching a fellow competitor in the solo comps yesterday.
I had just finished and just as he is playing a band started playing about 50 ft away. Really?
Could they have not picked another place because there were lots away from the platforms.
I love bands and solos but would they want me to walk into their circle in the middle of their competition....lol
sorry it just irked me, and a few others.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Hello !!! I am competing here,,,,

Yeah that sucks for sure...How about some common courtesy
I know it's dying out as it seams that a lot of folks are into "it's all about me"
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson

Happens quite a bit, unfortunately. I remember a few years back at the Savannah Games. A Grade 4 competitor had just started her piobaireachd comp and the Rosie O'grady came parading by at less than 20 feet. Threw her for a loop and unfortunately, she didn't do nearly as well as she should've.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Chris Apps

This is where good stewarding comes in handy. Move the buggers away!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

This happened to me at a Highland Games, when I was into the third measure of Captain Norman Orr Ewing for Grade IV 2/4 march. A street band assembled next to the competition area, about 30 feet from where I was competing and started blasting away, out of tune and not in unison. Threw me off my tune. I was furious at the band, but more so at the steward. This type of interference is the steward's fault, though you would think that bands would be more aware of what's going on around them.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

This is one reason why, as organizers (I'm actually an assistant), we at the Glasgow (KY) Highland Games P&D comp try to have the solo events finished well before the band comp starts. This also holds true for the Central KY Highland Games P&D comp, which I am involved with at the organizational level as well.

We also encourage our stewards to be proactive and try to head off any potential issues like spectators getting too close to the 'action' or other soloists tuning too close to a solo station (though most soloists are pretty good about being fair to their competitors).

Another reason is to allow time for the judges to have a bit to eat, take a restroom break, etc., before the band comp.

Also, some of the higher-level soloists tend to also be key band members of lower-grade bands, and since the higher-level solos take place later in the morning, it only makes sense to allow them a bit of a break as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Financier
Forum Regular

I just know if it had been me getting ready to compete, I would have no problem walking over to the P/M and asking them to move.
I am not in a band so I have no fear of P/Ms...lol
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
This is one reason why, as organizers (I'm actually an assistant), we at the Glasgow (KY) Highland Games P&D comp try to have the solo events finished well before the band comp starts. This also holds true for the Central KY Highland Games P&D comp, which I am involved with at the organizational level as well.
From what is now 4 years playing and competing, I must say that Glasgow is near top of the list when it comes to well run and well thought out venues. In the savannah games, it was mere oversight that the host band decided to bang out and play tunes so close to the comp area.

Perhaps a change to the rules such that if ones event is overrun by a herd of elephants or pipers, they should be permitted a McMulligan and have a do over.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Piperalpha
Holy smoking keyboard!

Indoor contests can be just as bad. I remember playing my piobaireachd right beside an elevator once. I somehow made it through my tune with people talking while waitng to go up one floor and the visual distraction of people getting off the lift. Tuning areas can be a pain as well. I remember a band coming into the room for solo players and starting to tune up. I suppose we do the best we can with the venues we can get.
Piperalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
SteveW
Forum Clasp

I HATE HATE HATE heavy events...they feel the need to narrate EVERYTHING over a loudspeaker for the small handful of people who actually stay to watch.
The Chatham, Ontario games were the absolute WORST. The heavy events were only a few hundred feet from the band circle and the announcer went on and on and on and on...It was rare to hear the band clearly over the speaker.

I also remember at the Kincardine games a few years ago...Burnett's and Struth G3, who wasnt even close to competing yet, marched and played right up to another band who was in final tuning. The B&S pipe sergeant had the nerve to mouth off and start swearing at the steward who told them to stop playing.

Last edited by SteveW; 10-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote