Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default A real bitey blower

Hey all,

along with being what some might call a "wet blower", I am also a "bitey blower" in that I have a tendency to bite on the blowstick. This results in me going through the rubber protection things (chortle) at a fairly rapid pace. I use an Airstream mouthpiece.

Has anyone been able to wean themselves off biting or found a tougher chew-proof mouthpiece protector?

Thanks
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: a real bitey blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyelark View Post
Hey all,

I am also a "bitey blower" in that I have a tendency to bite on the blowstick. This results in me going through the rubber protection things (chortle) at a fairly rapid pace.
Has anyone been able to wean themselves off biting

Thanks
You can only not do it if you really not want to.

Save the rubber trees.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: a real bitey blower

Practice a couple of minutes a day blowing a single steady note and not biting. With these things, building your awareness of your body's sensations makes a big difference.

As for protectors, a bit of PVC tubing is pretty indestructable. For Airstreams, a 10mm diameter works. Note it's a bit of a fight to get on.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Default Re: A real bitey blower

In my experience, biting and wet blowing go hand in hand. I also found that the oval airstream mouthpieces didn't stand up well to teeth, not as well as a round mouth piece. I didn't bite down hard, but enough to be going through mouth pieces.

There is good advice from Calum. In addition to that, I had to switch my set up a bit, changed to a flixistick with a round mouth piece (I had the straight unadjustable airstream with oval mouth piece previously) and set it up a touch shorter. The dual result of all that is that I don't grip with my teeth at all now, and I am a significantly drier blower. I've gone from using a full MCS to trapdry and bottle.

GL

Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 12-13-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: detail
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
Larry Samuels
Forum Regular

Biting can occur from excessive tension due to a hard setup as well- you might see if easing up your reed and making drones as air-efficient as possible would help.

You may have already done these things, but it's worth mentioning. -)

Larry
Larry Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
crossingnoises
Forum Regular

Reed Wrangler Flexible Ergonomic Mouthpiece!

I swear by mine.

It changed he whole embouchure for me. For some reason a round mouthpiece makes me think, "I don't have a grip on this," and I start to clamp to compensate - even though it's not needed at all.

This doohickey helped with that.

For me. YMMV.
crossingnoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

FWIW.....Mccallum puts out a small ovaled hard mouthpiece tip to replace their standard round one. Screw one off and the other oval one on.

Itís not as big an oval as most others on the market. Might be helpful for some people,

The key thing to biting is...donít do it......relax! Think about it every time you play. RELAX,,...RELAx,....RELax,....RElax...RElax,,, RElax....relax...

Oohhhmmmmmm. Ooohhhmmmmmm........
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
sooty piper
Forum Regular

Unless your blowstick is dead center, you are setting yourself up for TMJ issues, due to the asymmetric jaw tension. If, on the other hand, you bite on a dead-centered blowstick, you are moving your front teeth, which have low torsional resistance. This is all to help you to think RELAX...RELAX...RELAX
Old 12-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wanted a ReedWrangler mouthpiece, but couldn't afford one. So I put a piece of 1/2 in plastic irrigation tubing over the end of the mouthpiece. I still chew on it, but I can't bite through it, and it never crushes down to the point that it closes. It does make a nice oval that fits my mouth better, too. Yes, I know, I'm cheap...

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid. Murphy's Rules of Combat, #6
Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I go to the Pharmacy shops and buy surgical tubing by the foot and cut my own bite pieces. 1/4" surgical tubing.

Jenni