Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

Default Lee and Sons vs. Gannaway

I'm looking at getting a new cowhide bag (tried the synthetic route but once you go hide you never go... not hide?) I previously had a Gannaway bag (loved it) but I see that Lee and Sons sells a cowhide pipe bag (no grommets or zipper -- I want neither) for almost $100USD less than the Gannaway. How do the bags compare?

Thanks!
sirjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Lee and Sons vs Gannaway

Can't compare directly since I've only tried the Gannaway cow. Nice bag. What about the Bannatyne hybrid? Some folks frown, but I've had one for 18 months with no issue, and I almost have the Airtight taste out of my mouth from the last full hide bag.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=ElRanchoHotTub;1285650

What about the Bannatyne hybrid? Some folks frown, but I've had one for 18 months with no issue, and I almost have the Airtight taste out of my mouth from the last full hide bag.[/QUOTE]

This is what Willie McCallum plays....esp when in USA...where,arguably,,...but imho,...sheepskin is overkill.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

I might look at that, as my biggest issue is the thinness of the bannatyne I have now (bag is perfectly fine, just a preference thing) I may just look at getting a hybrid medium bag.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you start looking at hybrid you might want to consider the Lee & Sons "premium sheepskin". I have one and I like it but I've never played a plain cowhide bag. I do have an L&M Scotian (tie in) on one set of pipes and I like it for comfort but it's not good for moisture.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

The shape is different. So a different feel. The Lee is longer.
Something hard to quantify (identify?) was the vibrations you could feel on the surface of the Lee bag more than the Gannaway.
But overall I like the shape and feel of the Gannaway better (I was able to play my band mates pipes with a Lee bag sometimes).
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
The shape is different. So a different feel. The Lee is longer.
Something hard to quantify (identify?) was the vibrations you could feel on the surface of the Lee bag more than the Gannaway.
But overall I like the shape and feel of the Gannaway better (I was able to play my band mates pipes with a Lee bag sometimes).
Yeah, that's what I liked about the Gannaway so much, it just felt great under my arm, and it looks like they can be found for under $200 too, so I'll just go for that since I know I like it.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Gannaway bags come in three versions: sealed (no zipper or grommets), zipper-only (no grommets) and zipper + grommets. I have a sealed Gannaway on one GHB and a zipper-only version on my primary set. In terms of moisture control, there is no difference. The only moisture control I use is the equivalent of a Moose valve in the blowpipe stock and I have absolutely no moisture issues. In my view, the Gannaway's moisture control is at least as good as that of sheepskin bags I have played in the past.

I have not played a Lee cowhide bag, but one of the pipers in my band bought one a year or so ago. She and her husband were unable to get an airtight tie-in on the chanter stock. She brought it over to me to tie in. I found that the seam on that bag is exceptionally stiff and rigid, making it very difficult to tie in the chanter stock. According to Tartantown, when they tie in one of these bags, they put Blue-Tac or something similar in the groove created by the seam in order to make it airtight. Otherwise, it seems an excellent bag, although its moisture control is about on a par with the old L & M hide bags, that is to say, it's not very good.

As for price, here in Canada, the sealed Gannaway bag costs around $65 more than the Lee cowhide ($235 vs $170). In my view, the moisture control of the Gannaway is well worth the extra money.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianpiper View Post
According to Tartantown, when they tie in one of these bags, they put Blue-Tac or something similar in the groove created by the seam in order to make it airtight
I do this with my tie-ins as well, with (i think) good results. I also press blue-tac around the whole tie-in notch on the chanter stock. I've even been able to tie-in synthetic bags using this method, avoiding the nasty radiator clamp/o-ring combo.

The nice thing is, the blue-tac holds the chanter stock in place while you get yourself situated.
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I appreciate the fact that the Lee bag can be seasoned with airtight, not having to deal with conditioning and priming and trying to get product from Australia. I like Gannaway, but I'd buy Lee.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote