Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Competition Results
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competition Results Post and discuss competition results here.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Costa Mesa results

Saturday:
G5: MSM
Sorry, I donít remember any of the G5 results. Maybe someone can post them later in the thread.

G4: Medley
1. Glendora High School
2. Cameron Highlanders
3. LA Scots

G3: MSR
1. Pasadena Scots
I donít remember the rest of the G3 results.

G2:Medley
1. LA Scots
2. Prince Charles
3. Portland Metro

Sunday:
G5: QMM
1 Irish PiperI donít remember the rest

G4:Mini MSR
1. Glendora High School
2. Cameron Highlanders
3. Silicon Valley

G3: Medley
1. Pasadena Scots
I donít remember the rest.

G2: MSR
1. LA Scots
2. Prince Charles
3. Portland Metro
Old 05-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Costa Mesa

My main takeaway from the Games was the huge improvement seen in a number of the bands.

Pasadena sounded great. Trevor and Glen have done a splendid job and had the band playing very musically.

Kevin Blandford Memorial was sounding solid and musical too. (Maybe they were 3rd on Saturday and 2nd on Sunday??)

To my uneducated ears Grade 2 was too close to call, all the bands sounding terrific.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Too bad about pibroch on Friday. Not enough stewards and inconsiderate pipers tuning up their band cannons 18 paces away from the competitors. The judge making competitors wait while he sat at the boards eating lunch, arriving late for Saturday's competition too, and rolling his eyes and harrumphing after asking soloists for their tunes. I don't know why committees will import stellar UK judges for drumming but let locals judge their own students in piping. Bad form.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I didn't listen to piping solos on Friday or Saturday, but I did on Sunday and the judges were both the imported UK judges and local ones.

The couple piping judges they fly in for the band contest aren't enough to cover all the solos, I suppose it's as simple as that.

Was all the piobaireachd on Friday? I didn't know. Next year I'll have to go on Friday and listen to it.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Was all the piobaireachd on Friday? I didn't know. Next year I'll have to go on Friday and listen to it.
I'm pretty sure Costa Mesa and Pleasanton (at least) do Friday piobaireachd due, in part, to the large number of solos.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
pipergirlsmom
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I think it is very sad when people do these games for free only to be bashed by folks. It is a lot of work to put a games contest together. Yes Piob is on Friday because they are such long tunes.

With regards to Costa Mesa I thought it was smooth and fabulous. The judges were very nice to my daughter. Was everything perfect maybe not but it never will be. There will always be a glitch somewhere because you are dealing with humans who are imperfect. The games organizer cannot control the behavior of who he has there. So rather than nit pick at a few lags maybe look at the competition as a whole and appreciate all the work that goes into putting one of these on.

Those of us that put these games on do it, at least for me, because we love bagpipe music and want to see it continue. We get nothing out of it. Like someone once told me it costs you a lot of money to be a volunteer at a Scottish Games. The sidebar is I get to meet fabulous people doing this and am making friends.

I personally have been attacked with malicious lies and I considered quitting but I also realize that this individual does not represent the majority of the fabulous piping and drumming folks out there and that is who I am doing this for.

My dad loved bagpiping and that is who I am doing this for. He would be over the moon if he were here to see Linda. He was a very late starter and only mastered a small amount of bagpiping before he got lung cancer and had to quit.

So maybe instead of complaining about things offer to help or at least don't make the organizers lives more difficult. We are doing the best job we can. Example, this year was the first year I had a band comp. Well I was off at the airport (2 hours away) picking up the judges and the person I left in charge didn't get the bleachers far enough apart. Not much I could do about it Sat morning at 7 AM so the WUSPBA rep just rolled with it. The pipe bands didn't complain and it was all good. Next year will be better!! I learned how to paint at circle at Costa Mesa.

Lets all have fun and just roll with the little glitches. Life is too short to complain. This coming from someone who is one year clear of terminal cancer.
pipergirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
thevoidboy

The one complaint that may be valid was about the attitude of the particular judge who was not respectful of the performers. So, perhaps it might be worthwhile to reach out, learn more, and if reasonable, not invite that judge back.

We all spend money, work long unpaid hours, and love the music. It is potentially quite demoralizing if our work, as performers, is not given the same respect that is required of us to show judges.

:-)

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
pipergirlsmom

Yes I agree with you. What I said Voidboy goes for everyone, judges and soloists alike.
pipergirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ohhhh, I see what this is about. Not hard to make the connection there!
It's not about the games organizers at all, nor the eye-rolling nonsense, nor the lack of stewards.
I'll remember that well before I pay the entry fee and drive 9 hours both ways to compete.

Last edited by Rooklidge; 06-07-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: chuckling too hard
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote