Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #21
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Repro horseshair sporrrans (Pakistan); worth it or not?

Huh! Quite right, I missed this detail. I thought the St. Andrew with cross was unique to the Camerons but I see now after checking that the Black Watch sporran badge also features this motif (not at all like their cap badge), but the Camerons' figure stands on a wreath. So right you are, it's a mixed up badge and I'll see what I can do to make modifications. Cheers!
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
LJ Neville
Forum Regular

Thanks for posting on this, esp the pics - I think you made a great purchase!

Available for sale here: https://www.freewebstore.org/rancoca...-pipe-band-llc
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #23
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
Huh! Quite right, I missed this detail. I thought the St. Andrew with cross was unique to the Camerons but I see now after checking that the Black Watch sporran badge also features this motif (not at all like their cap badge), but the Camerons' figure stands on a wreath. So right you are, it's a mixed up badge and I'll see what I can do to make modifications. Cheers!

That Cameron Highlanders badge is easy enough to find as a cap badge. I have several on caps and sporrans, including on a horse hair sporran that came with the ubiquitous thistle badge- just swapped out the Thistle and put on St Andrew.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

What's a bit odd, and subtle, is that the Camerons' cap badge and sporran badge both featured St Andrew with his cross on a wreath, the but wreaths are shaped a bit differently.

So even if there's no hint as to scale in photos you can't mistake one for the other.

and with the scroll

And what have we here?

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #25
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Looks like someone in MOD finally tried to ecomomize by ordering 10000 Cameron badges.... oh,...but leave the word Cameron off 5000 please.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

What an odd muddle of badge motifs!

That BW piper's picture detail reminded me -- does anyone know why the Black Watch pipers wear their crossbelt OVER their plaid when I think every other regiment wears/wore their plaid over the crossbelt?

Sheer obstinacy, or what?
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 AM   #27
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
does anyone know why the Black Watch pipers wear their crossbelt OVER their plaid when I think every other regiment wears/wore their plaid over the crossbelt?

HIstorically there was quite a bit of variety and no real consistency - and it could change in the same pipe band according to whims of the hierarchy.

I suspect in the case of the Black Watch it was simply a case of being able to see the badges.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote