Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
CorvPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Hardie Small Pipes

Looking for a bit of help in tuning and reeding a set of small pipes. The pipes are owned by a friend of mine who purchased them several years ago. I took a look at them but wasn't sure how they should be tuned. I contacted Hardie, but it had been so long since they made them that they didn't have any information.

It has a set of small pipe ezeedrone drone reeds and a gibson small pipe chanter reed.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Thanks in advance...
CorvPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Anndrah
Forum Member

Default Re: Hardie Small Pipes

Do the reeds play in them at all?
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I suspect the chanter is just a practice chanter body, in which case it will be somewhere in the A-Bb region.

Take a reading off the chanter, and if it's balanced then that's your pitch, and then set drones to suit.

Reeding the drones would likely be easiest done by finding someone used to reeding bellowspipes with cane and having them do it once you know what pitch you're shooting for - unless the Ezeedrones you have are on pitch.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

These were most likely originally reeded with cane. If you can get someone to custom-make cane reeds for them, I'm sure that would work fine. It's tough to judge from the pics, but I'm guessing that the chanter was intended to pitch somewhere in the A -> B-flat range. Ezeedrone DOES make small pipe reeds intended to play in B-flat. If I had to set this instrument up, I'd do it by trying to reed the chanter first. If you can get it to play close to A or B-flat, you'll know what you need to accomplish with the drones.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
CorvPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Anndrah: they do, but I could not find the right pitch to set the chanter and drones to that matched.

From what I found out from another source the chanter is a Hardie PC and so it needs a PC reed. I will let my friend know and we will see where these pitch at. Then see if we can get these tuned.

Thanks for all the input.
CorvPiper is offline   Reply With Quote