Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Most comfortable chanter you've played?

Donald MacDonald,ca. 1820-1830 and William Ross (Henry Starck), ca. 1870 (I only play pre-1900 chanters)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #42
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

I really like my Kron Medalist chanter, but I’m working with my McC2 a bit more lately - I like the McCallum’s punch and bark, but the hole layout is more challenging. Also thinking of trying a Kyo. I only play post-2005 chanters.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #43
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Circa 1984 blackwood Dunbar Eller.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #44
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

Hands down for ABW: Sinclair Poly: Shepherd Mk2
Old 06-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #45
Anndrah
Forum Member

I have played a good hanful of plastic band chanters over the years. The G1 is probably my favorite among them. That said, I am not a poly chanter fan.
I have a good handful of old Hardie and Hendy chanters from the 50s-60s, they were okay, the hardies were better sounding overall, but still not a big fan.

I bought an abw Naill 20 years ago from a buddy who played it for solos, but changed to something else. The chanter has always felt delicate to me, but the hole size and spacing is perfect for me and the chanter sings. I had found the McPhee reeds made it sing even better, generally with little to no tape (much easier to balance a chanter when you are not beholden to a number on a tuner for the band). I have no found that Megaritys reeds are also and easy set up (plug and play) and sing very nicely as well. Not sue how to date Nail chanters but it is at least 20 years old, and has a smoothreeds seat, not threaded. Also no sole (lots of soul though!) just the squared off bulge at the bottom.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote