Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Chanter reed issues, going from low to high elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndrah View Post
Autocorrected "not" should be notes, the C Nat etce

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
Chris Apps

Try putting one of those little practice chanter reed sponges at the the base of your pipe chanter reed.
They are designed to soak up water in the practice chanter but you want this to work the opposite way so soak it first then put it in. You'll have to experiment to see how wet is ideal but it will help with the moisture problem.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #13
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Apps View Post
Try putting one of those little practice chanter reed sponges at the the base of your pipe chanter reed.
They are designed to soak up water in the practice chanter but you want this to work the opposite way so soak it first then put it in. You'll have to experiment to see how wet is ideal but it will help with the moisture problem.
Very helpful. Thanks Chris!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've noticed that my smallpipes play different at higher elevation, and they are entirely plastic, so in addition to whatever moisture issues there are, there seems to be something due to the elevation itself (lower air pressure I assume).
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Apps View Post

A good one.

Alternate to a few ice cubes and the obvious slosh factor...if I’ve planned ahead thoroughly ( rare...) Ive used a well dampened sponge in a zipped
Pipe bag at games or parade for a hot day hydration protocol. I suppose putting the sponge in an open zip lock sandwich baggie might also be thoughtful.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

When conditions are high and dry, you really need to think about what the individual reeds require:

Drone reeds need to be dry (at least not with moisture on them).
Chanter reeds need humidity.

So, what I am doing in dryish Colorado is using a Gannaway leather bag. The bag has not been seasoned for six months. I use a TrapDri tube trap. I can play for an hour without any noticeable moisture buildup on my drone reeds.

For my chanter reed, I use a reed cap to keep it around 80% RH when not in use. Prior to playing, I “spritz” some water into my chanter stock, then insert the chanter. I have to be mindful to keep hemp seal on the chanter tenon.

So far, it is working great.

Charlie
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #17
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

The problem with putting ice cubes in the bag, is when you drop something critical after doing that. Car Keys, Pocketknife, Wedding ring, whatever. When you bend over at the middle to pick that critical item up, the water runs to the front of the bag. Unforeseen deluge of the chanter reed follows. This is bad for predictability of the consequences..
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #18
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
When conditions are high and dry, you really need to think about what the individual reeds require:

Drone reeds need to be dry (at least not with moisture on them).
Chanter reeds need humidity.

So, what I am doing in dryish Colorado is using a Gannaway leather bag. The bag has not been seasoned for six months. I use a TrapDri tube trap. I can play for an hour without any noticeable moisture buildup on my drone reeds.

For my chanter reed, I use a reed cap to keep it around 80% RH when not in use. Prior to playing, I “spritz” some water into my chanter stock, then insert the chanter. I have to be mindful to keep hemp seal on the chanter tenon.

So far, it is working great.

Charlie
Big help .. thanks! It's possible to have this gig in the future, so I need to figure how to deal with the condition change.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Anndrah
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I've noticed that my smallpipes play different at higher elevation, and they are entirely plastic, so in addition to whatever moisture issues there are, there seems to be something due to the elevation itself (lower air pressure I assume).
There is less air in the air up there.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Big help .. thanks! It's possible to have this gig in the future, so I need to figure how to deal with the condition change.

Cheers,

~Nate

IIRC, the water spritzer technique was passed on by Adrian Melvin to Queen City PB.

Charlie