Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
magsevenband
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Older Naill - Orange Sole

EZ's in the drones...Shepherd in the chanter.
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

...Shepherd in the chanter.
FWIW..( you might already know this) .....Naill 'recommends' folded staple reeds such as MacPhee,Warnock, Colin Maclellan, Troy others. I've found Macphee remains robust and true on the high hand especially F and G, G Nat. ..whereas Shepherd standard reeds ( my go to reed for other chanters)....seem to not....in my early 2000's stick; wondering if same for early/original vintage.

Last edited by el gaitero; 09-17-2017 at 07:01 AM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
magsevenband
Forum Silver Medal

Agreed...though I tend to look at older Naill ABW chanters as an unfinished product when purchased new in those days...carving is necessary on D, C, and B and taping on every hole to get it just right..they really sing with superb harmonics...the old MacAllisters were my reed of choice...the right Shepherd does the trick now..
Old 09-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Agreed...though I tend to look at older Naill ABW chanters as an unfinished product when purchased new in those days...carving is necessary on D, C, and B and taping on every hole to get it just right..they really sing with superb harmonics...the old MacAllisters were my reed of choice...the right Shepherd does the trick now..
Shepherd standard or ridge cut? What year is the chanter?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
magsevenband
Forum Silver Medal

Shepherd standard...not a fan of ridge cuts...too chirpy and shrill IMO...the chanter is circa late 80's.