Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
will granger
Forum Regular

Default Re: Suggestions for breathing exercises?

While there may be some effective exercises, I believe the best thing is to simply play as often as possible. Gradually, you will gain endurance and at the same trim learn more about tuning. You will notice when you gain endurance and before long you will be happily surprised at how long you can play.
will granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Default Re: Suggestions for breathing exercises?

OD, with respect, as others have suggested, maybe you're over-thinking this...

Question - do you link breathing frequency with tune playing on the practice chanter? No, didn't think so, you just blow until that breath runs out....then you either break rythm of the tune while you draw new lungfuls, keep the tune going in your head while you breathe, or if you're clever ( and I'm damned if I can do it) perform that circular breathing trick and keep both going.

So, suggestion...since you don't link the two things on the chanter, ask why you're doing it on the full pipes....maybe you can work it out for yourself (not being sarcastic here, but I don't think you have a real problem, just a glitch you thunk up.

I do have sympathy with the issue, as a friend let me try his bellows smallpipes recently and I got myself out of breath because I got so focussed on wrestling bellows, bag and fingers that I forgot to breathe myself! Now that's plain stupid 'cos it's an automatic function, but it bit me anyway...

Persevere and keep the questions coming, we're all on the same team...

Cheers
S
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote