Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #1
OHpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Shepherd Tone Enhancers

Hi all, been lingering for awhile and decided to join. I've had my pipes now since the beginning of August (McCallum AP3)with Canning drone reeds, medium Bannatyne bag with the simple water trap the comes with it. I've noticed when I take them apart after playing there will be some moisture on the drone reeds, seems to be more on the middle drone and I've also noticed sometimes this drone will cut out after playing 5-10 minutes. Would I benefit with the tone enhancers? I see they also keep some moisture from getting to the reeds.
BTW, Hello from Ohio!
Thanks all, Bill
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #2
OHpiper

Default Re: Shepard tone enhancers

I did some searching on the subject and it seems there is some mixed remarks about them. My strike-ins and cut-offs are getting better so that isn't the issue and I don't want reduced volume, so I think I'm going to go without for now..
Old 10-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

In my experience, Bannatyne *hybrid* bags (with the leather layer on the outside, may not be what you have) retain moisture more than any other bag. You might consider a more effective moisture control system if you think the moisture is adversely affecting your reeds.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tone enhancers get a bad rap, even though they likely are effective at removing moisture. They impede airflow to the drones which suppresses their sound.

There are other options which youíll likely explore as you progress:

DroneDry - dessicants canisters that fit into specially made drone stocks. I like them.

TrapDri - these work.

Hide bag - do not take as much maintenance as some people suggest. Personally, I use a Gannaway. I seasoned it before Winter Storm, then not again until late August.

The caveat is your climate (to some extent). Here in the Denver area, it is dry. This means that we want moisture for the chanter reed, but donít for synthetic drone reeds.

Another caveat is your blowing and whether youíre a wet or dry blower. Comfort with the pipes can effect this, Iím sure, but I suspect that it also a genetic thing.

Charlie
Old 10-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
OHpiper

I'm going to try something different, open the bridle up a bit on that middle tenor so that when it does get damp it won't shut off. Yes Ohio climate is more humid than Denver believe me..
Thanks for the replies
Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
OHpiper

Default Re: Shepherd Tone Enhancers

Moving the bridle a bit seemed to help, I played outside this morning. 76 degrees out and muggy. Played for about 35 min.