Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Larry Samuels
Forum Regular

Default Possible CITES changes

I saw the following posted on a guitar forum (guitars having CITES concerns with rosewood):

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

“A consensus was reached at the 70th meeting of the CITES Standing Committee, which took place in Sochi, Russia last week, which could see musical instruments finally exempted from the CITES II environmental safeguards.

The Committee will exempt “finished musical instruments”, “finished musical instrument parts” and “finished musical instrument accessories” from its licensing requirements, although the exact definition of those terms will be defined in a proposal document prepared in cooperation with the EU.

If successful the proposal could be adopted at the next CITES meeting in May 2019 and pass into law by September next year.

http://mmrmagazine.com/mmr-global/mm...cites-meeting/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Let's see what happens.

Larry
Larry Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Possible CITES changes

Well... as GrandMama was wont to say... Hal-le-lu-jah!! :)

Now... let us see... how it all... falls out... comes to pass... :)

(We can only live in hope!! :)

Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I suppose all we’d need to do is to carry some sort of documentation to show that the musical instruments are “finished.” I wonder if that would refer to newly manufactured instruments too?

Either way, it would simplify things significantly.

Of course, this thread has just opened the can of worms that’ll result in a huge acrimonious debate on government and CITES. I hope I am incorrect.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

That would ease restrictions on instruments made of blackwood or cocobolo (Appendix II species), but it wouldn't do anything for instruments that have ivory on them (Appendix I).
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote